Recommended caps for tuner partial recap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Happy 2018 and thank you for the help :)

I decided to look into why my displays are dim on my black and silver Technics ST-S7 tuners.

I noticed a few caps with green legs on the right side, obviously they had leaked out a bit, so I feel confident they display will be fine after a recap of the bad caps.

It is funny as its exactly the same caps on the other S7, as if there was a bad batch at the forty back in 81.

for the output caps, and maybe opamp change i would use silmicII and maybe a bb opamp in place of the old 6552.

I was thinking? thoughts on the Pano FR? FM or FC ? not hifi but maybe will suit the psu and other problem areas due to long life?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Elna Silmic II would be my choice.

The Nichicon Muse series are a good choice as well. I recapped an old McIntosh amp with them and am satisfied.

However, Silmic II would have been a cheaper and I’m sure just fine solution as well. Maybe the Muse in the output position and key areas.

I noticed Nelson Pass uses and recommends the Silmic II. Somewhere on the forum he details his experience with them. I’d trust his opinion on such matters.

Happy new year.

Last edited:
hi,

the choice for opamp and output caps with SilmicII is ok, for other caps i would use the Panasonic FR (long life version of the Panasonic FC), even if the FC type in dark blue sleeve and gold letters looks much better than the FR with white letters on a black sleeve.

BR
Günn

hi,

the choice for opamp and output caps with SilmicII is ok, for other caps i would use the Panasonic FR (long life version of the Panasonic FC), even if the FC type in dark blue sleeve and gold letters looks much better than the FR with white letters on a black sleeve.

BR
Günn
Thank you Gunn,
I read some people worried they got fake FR from Mouser but I think FR is not the most pretty capacitor but i look at specs very very long life and SilmicIIis great for ouput, and i think it has an opamp not sure? as no service manual for it, though it has a 8pin AN6552 close to pot and output?

I worry about alignment if i change all

I'm recapped my old Sony ST-JX5 tuner. Changed all capacitors.
Improvement is really great.
I used Silmic-II. And Epcos in PSU.
All 0,1uF, 0,33uF and 0,47uF electrolytics replaced with small Wima film capacitors.

Thank you Rajko
Gosh it would sound nice with film caps and SilmicII, i am amazed tuner kept the station with memory caps one gone the other just working and power supply one cap just broke off

? was alignment difficult i have only a mulitmeter i had a cheap technition if i wait he does it cheaply for me once he gets his other jobs done?

I think you'll find the electrolytic caps are not in the front end where the alignment is done.
I replaced all electrolytics in an FM radio and the sensitivity and tuning stability improved a lot, without doing any alignment. When I went into it tuning point wandered around with room temperature variation, and I couldn't receive the 500 W high school radio station in the next county. Now it is stable and silent during pauses on WNAS-FM. I did the work because the 2004 Sony radio I bought to replace this 1970 Reader's Digest radio I inherited had bad sensitivity out of the blister pack. **** frequency synthesized circuits, cheap ****.
As RajkoM said, electrolytics below 4.7 uf are obsolete. Film caps are much smaller than they were 25 years ago. Also film should last 100 years, not 20. Just make sure voltage rating is high enough. You may have to extend film cap leads a bit, many new film caps come with 2 mm leads these days.

Last edited:
Thank you Jo
It would be too expensive for companies to use flims, though the old BSR (HMV) of Grandmas - all films in there Nichicon, its old late 60s i think. I inherited it when she passed. I just could not help but look inside to see its electronics - volume pots needed cleaning

back to the turner, apart from the dim display noticed station was tuning in example 92.5 FM it was 94.4FM - no wonder a whole 1000uf power cap broke off when i checked it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.