UK distilled water?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First few runs of my Ultrasonic and I have to say mixed results.

I still hear cracks and pops so I assume this must be actual groove damage :violin:

I used Distilled Water used for car batteries and so on and 20 drops of tergikleen. Tank heated to 41.6 and ran for 20 mins.

Have to say the rinsing is ESSENTIAL and even with a rinse I struggled to get the marks off my vinyl, in the end I had to hand clean with Keith monks fluid and vinyl vac.

So yeah, mixed reactions. It did wonders for one track for others really cannot say i hear a difference from my hand clean method with keth mnks fluid and vinyl vac.

How disappointing especially after all that money

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sorry to hear that, I expect your expectations were set too high by some of the rather over egged descriptions you hear about the benefits of ultrasonic cleaning. First thing to note is that it will not get grease off. Finger prints need a manual step. There has been no real concerted attempts to work out if there is anything ultrasonic cleaning will remove that other methods wont so you are left with speed and convenience, which only come into play when you are trying to clean hundreds at a time. I'd like an ultrasonic cleaner, but I find hand cleaning quite cathartic.

Sorry to hear that, I expect your expectations were set too high by some of the rather over egged descriptions you hear about the benefits of ultrasonic cleaning. First thing to note is that it will not get grease off. Finger prints need a manual step. There has been no real concerted attempts to work out if there is anything ultrasonic cleaning will remove that other methods wont so you are left with speed and convenience, which only come into play when you are trying to clean hundreds at a time. I'd like an ultrasonic cleaner, but I find hand cleaning quite cathartic.

Oh sorry by marks I mean marks AFTER the Ultrasonic clean left behind by the water and Tergikleen. Perhaps my vinyls are not rotating fast enough and are drying causing the marks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have been thinking about the comments about tergitol, I have multiple record cleaning solutions including a home brew mix of alcohol, water and tergitol and I now tend to gravitate towards one gifted to me by a local dealer rather than the home brew. I use a VPI 16.5 cleaner, it helps but ain't the bees knees either.

One of my friends with a homebrew ultrasonic record cleaner I think uses DI water in his tank with some medical grade cleaner. I have cleaned a lot of records in that machine and I would rate the effect of cleaning as generally subtle, noting that some really dirty records benefit greatly while others don't.

His wash cycle takes closer to 5 minutes.

One of my friends with a homebrew ultrasonic record cleaner I think uses DI water in his tank with some medical grade cleaner. I have cleaned a lot of records in that machine and I would rate the effect of cleaning as generally subtle, noting that some really dirty records benefit greatly while others don't.

Admittedly ignorant the record cleaners part, but given my neuroses around clean labware at work, I'll often sonicate in 1 MΩ DI with a drop of Dawn first, flood rinse, then switch over to Alconox/Liquinox/similar for the *real* cleaning.

Given the non-critical nature here (sorry if that offends anyone's sensibilities), are all the levels of care needed? Just make sure your water is not super hard and leaving deposits and you're probably just fine with dish soap or even shampoo! SDS or a tiny bit of tween20 would keep particles in suspension vs re-adhering to the record surface.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah there should be no residue when you pull the record out of the cleaner, either the water is contaminated with something or the tergiclean is to blame. I rarely use the stuff now, as I haven't found it entirely satisfactory. The records cleaned with this stuff get noisy again in short order. (Maybe it is me)

One drop of tergiclean per gallon is all you need.

The few people I know using home brew cleaners seem run them rather slower than Bill recommended. One revolution in about 5 minutes with a single pass through the process.

Oddly there is a whole thread on vinyl Engine about using shampoo to clean records.
Haven't read the thread, but a few years back I had reasonable success experimenting with hair conditioner as an after treatment. Really. Siloxane based conditioner reduced stylus-groove friction, with associated profound upside, but some persistent clogging IIRC.

The search for the elixir goes on...............siloxane is a very promising lubricant, if one can persuade it to bond and not clog.

Nice shine and lustre though :rolleyes:

You know how your hair feels soft and smooth after you put conditioner in it? You may think that's because your conditioner gives the hair what it needs to be healthy. Unfortunately, in most cases, that's not it.

Many conditioners contain chemicals that coat the hair strand, making it act like it's healthy. In reality, it's in the same condition as before with a few chemicals putting on a show for awhile. Have no doubt—when the chemicals wash off, your hair will go back to being dry, frizzy, and dull.
How can you tell if your conditioner is truly helping your hair or only covering it up? Like everything, it depends on the ingredients. If you read “cyclotetrasiloxane” in the list, you've probably you've got a more chemical formula on your hands.

So says the great www.

PS: obviously, for test purposes only, don't try it on records or rigs you value or ever wish to see again.

LD

Last edited:
One drop of tergiclean per gallon is all you need.

The instructions with it say add between 10-20 drops per gallon :confused:

I've had more success now running records through the same mixture 3 times with no left over residue if i get it off and vac right away.

Certainly starting to hear the results on some record and I am very impressed. What it also shows up are just how damaged some 2nd hand records are that you'll never get the clicks out of :trash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.