Troubleshoot phono noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My friend has been using his phono gear for quite some time. Recently, his phono gear produces some "click click click click" noise. The tonearm is Technoarm which is basically a modified Rega. He did the followings: -

Unplug the RCA input to phono amp - no clicking noise

Plugged the RCA to phono amp again but disconnect the ground cable from tonearm to phono amp - clicking noise and hum.

Plugged the RCA to phono amp and ground cable again but unplug the cartridge connections - clicking noise is there

Plugged a line output to phono amp - no clicking noise, turn on the line input, there is sound but no clicking noise.

He also tried to plug only one RCA input to phono amp, clicking noise is there no matter L or R channel.

Checked the cartridge connecting point with RCA plugs, all of them are not open but with around 2.x ohmes. (The meter has 0.8 ohmes when shorted)

What could go wrong and where to look at?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It is possible this could be some electromagnetic induced noise. The line input test could be significant because a typical line output is at very low impedanc and so would not be as prone to picking this up.

I think you need to be looking for something external. Have you tried physically moving the turntable around to see if the noise can be either increased or reduced.

Could there be anything located behind a wall causing this ? You could try a grounded metal tray and move that around the turntable to shield it and see if that alters anything.

I had a similar problem a while back. If a remember correctly is was associated with an earth bonding issue with the arm. I'm not sure how the Technoarm is built, but the AudioMods arm I own has the actual arm earthed separately to the rest of the tonearm as there is no electrical path between the parts due to the type of bearings used.

Check resistance of actual metal tube of arm to the green wire. Should be 0 or reading 0.8 on your meter.
May be noise from turntable drive getting in the pickup wiring. Where are the motor & drive board in the turntable, near the arm or far away? Lots of switching going on in motor drives these days, produces high freq RF at the edges that has to be supressed. Better straight sine wave AC power. I have a 1979 clock motor drive changer; am so thrilled with the result I picked up another at a garage sale incase I wear out the first. BIC went out of the business, not because they didn't have great performance but because they looked cheap, knockoffs of those rumbly Gerards everybody started with in the sixties.

Last edited:
My friend unplugged the phono amp and turntable overnight, then everything returns normal on the following day. Nothing has been done but it just resumes normal. Can't find out what's happening. Will look at it again if the problem returns.

Thank you for all the input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.