Cassette tape shortage -- relieved

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Article in this morning's Wall St. Journal on the efforts of a Missouri company to end the shortage of cassette tape:

A Global Shortage of Magnetic Tape Leaves Cassette Fans Reeling - WSJ

SPRINGFIELD, Mo.— Steve Stepp and his team of septuagenarian engineers are using a bag of rust, a kitchen mixer larger than a man and a 62-foot-long contraption that used to make magnetic strips for credit cards to avert a disaster that no one saw coming in the digital-music era.

The world is running out of cassette tape.

National Audio Co., where Mr. Stepp is president and co-owner, has been hoarding a stockpile of music-quality, ⅛-inch-wide magnetic tape from suppliers that shut down in the past 15 years after music lovers ditched cassettes. National Audio held on. Now, many musicians are clamoring for cassettes as a way to physically distribute their music.

Let's see, 1/8 tape at less than 2 inches per second when pros use 1/4 inch at 15 ips. (30 ips if there worried about high freqs.) or 30 times as much tape on a machine that is recalibrated for the tape that's on it at the moment. And most recording engineers went to digital as soon as they could. Cassettes? The worst recording device on the planet, ( ok maybe the old wire recorder is worst) using crap home made tape. When you get one,record some tones, then play them back a month later. You'll stop using cassettes. And don't forget to clean the heads, that bathtub tape will probably leave all kinds of high freqs ( magnetic dust) on them.

And who releases music as cassette only? Not the smartest marketing going on there.

Start up groups and indivigual musicians are doing so as they only need a few copies to sell. Also people making the more esoteric music (read 'The Wire' magazine - it's like another world of music exists). There are quite a lot of musicians releasing vinyl in relatively small numbers as well

Cassettes are also trendy at the moment as is a lot on old skool analog art forms. I never bought a single one and don't intend to start now! It's a shame r2r tapes are so expensive; now that is a satisfying medium.

Aw tape

I have to say I remember tape cassette quite fondly. Too young for real vinyl collection and 8 track cassettes but old enough to have recorded many a poor dub, and surprisingly often some good quality demos and EPS.

I actually just sold a 4 track yamaha cassette deck to a band who take the medium seriously and also want to use the gimmick factor I suppose.

Recording on metal formula tapes (TDK in metal cases) and at double speed the quality wasn't far off CD, I just had to bounce down as minimally as I could to retain the fidelity.

I never had the luck to use a r2r, and I'd still love to use one now.

Limits provoke creativity I reckon.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Well he is making a sure bet. I mean historically speaking tape has been around the longest.

But using 8 track tape is just asking for problems. I would simply get a JVC TD-V66 (Or anything from the TD-V line) (Low enough wow/flutter to best even a Nakamichi Dragon) at 1/10th the price.

I can only imagine dude111 getting chuffed over the prospect of an 8-track revival boom - along with new recording decks to allow archiving of his MP3 library

Have fond memories of 8 track tapes.
Spent many an hour winding them back on after a mishap.
They had a metal tape on them at the ends to switch track, my player rarely picked up on that so had to change track manually.

In those young days I wired mine into my car. For some reason I didn't fuse it and one day the wiring caught fire ! I tried to rip out the wires to stop them shorting and ended up with numerous burns across my hand where the red hot wire burned it.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Quick, lets put an SD card into a cassette tape housing, load it up with WAV or FLAC audio, and introduce the HiFi cassette and player.

Done. I got a dummy cassette which jacks to an iPod or whatever. I may even have used it. (But the other car we use an FM thingie-- works fine way out here where there's only about 3 stations across the FM band.)

....one day the wiring caught fire ! I tried to rip out the wires to stop them shorting and ended up with numerous burns across my hand where the red hot wire burned it.

Use smaller wire. I had a radio on the Jeep seat, cheap clip-leads to the lighter socket. One dark night I saw "lightning" from seat to dash. It was those thin wires gone incandescent-white from a short. Didn't last long. The drippings did almost no damage to the wood patches over my floorboard holes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.