Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

What's the most probable cause of this vintage TT problem?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2017, 05:28 PM   #11
AmpUtator is offline AmpUtator  United States
diyAudio Member

Great find DangerBoy. I love the retro look.
Old 26th October 2017, 01:50 AM   #12
DangerBoy is offline DangerBoy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Let's begin the restoration

Okay, let's start planning what we're going to do.

I don't think it'll cost that much to try Option 2 first and that option has the advantage of keeping all of the adjustment knobs fully functional. If the thing still sounds like crap or can't power the replacement coax drivers, I'll switch to Option 3 and re-amp.

First lets look at all the insides of the thing in a macro view:

Click the image to open in full size.

If we look along the right side where the various tone and volume controls are. It can be seen that there's quite a lot of brown blob non-polar coupling caps there. There's also some transistors and lots of resistors. Any reason I should target the coupling caps and replace them as a matter of course or should I just leave them alone? Below is a close-up of some of the coupling caps.

What about the transistors? Below is a diagram showing what transistors are being used. I believe there are modern day replacements available for them.

Below are two views of the PSU and amplifier section in two different machines. A number of electrolytic caps can be seen there.

I've outlined the caps I'm thinking I should definitely target for replacement. Is there anything else in this section I should also target?

The fuse is blown on the unit I have so rather than replace it with one of those soldered in glass fuses that are a hassle to change out, I'm wiring in an inline glass fuse holder. I can tape the spare fuses inside the chassis so they're immediately handy if the fuse ever gets blown again. The PO blew the fuse when he was tinkering. Hopefully, the fuse did its job and nothing was damaged.
Old 26th October 2017, 01:56 AM   #13
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Is there a power transformer anywhere? This is of a vintage were output transformers are used, and they look to be of a decent size for the kind of device.

dave
Old 26th October 2017, 02:30 AM   #14
DangerBoy is offline DangerBoy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Is there a power transformer anywhere? This is of a vintage were output transformers are used, and they look to be of a decent size for the kind of device.
I thought that's what those things wrapped in tape or paper inside the metal housings in the upper and lower right hand corners of the amp/PSU section were. Is that not what they are?
Old 26th October 2017, 02:42 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I’m pretty sure those are output transformers… look to see if one set of leads connects to the transistor sockets and the other to the loudspeaker jacks. With no power transformer, that is something you’ll have to sort so that it isn’t a safety hazard.

dave
Old 26th October 2017, 03:59 AM   #16
scaramoucheii is offline scaramoucheii  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerBoy View Post

Looks like the Power Transformer is on the "top" of the chassis. Isn't that it the the bottom left corner of the photo? You can see the laminated plates and the 4 x fasteners securing it to the chassis
Old 26th October 2017, 04:02 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It does look at it, but there would have to be room for the TT to clear it.

dave
Old 26th October 2017, 04:03 AM   #18
ogromnii is offline ogromnii  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Power transformer is visible in the left bottom corner trough the square window. Some types germanium transistors tend to pass away with years, get noisy or stop working at all, real pain in the *** as there are no direct silicium equivalents, you have to rebias circuit. Good luck nice project.

What's the most probable cause of this vintage TT problem?Hide this!Advertise here!