Test LP group buy

I think eccentricity effects shows up less if the speed tracks are in the first grooves. After all isn’t the purpose to measure and adjust the TT speed and not to see flaws in the record itself?

well it IS also to assess/quantify some flaws on the record it self (i.e. center hole vs groove centering). Just either to assess its (non)importance and/or try to compensate it (in HW = fx. nudging record, SW = fx direct signal processing(deconvolve) or statistically (on spreading metrics etc calculated fx on BIM/rumble spectrum etc))

well it IS also to assess/quantify some flaws on the record it self (i.e. center hole vs groove centering). Just either to assess its (non)importance and/or try to compensate it (in HW = fx. nudging record, SW = fx direct signal processing(deconvolve) or statistically (on spreading metrics etc calculated fx on BIM/rumble spectrum etc))

Hm, well that would then only apply for the test record. I do manually adjust music records by watching the tonearm movement, it works good having a felt mat which makes the tapping of the record easy during adjust.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We did talk about cutting one side at 45 RPM early in the thread. And some mastering engineers have suggested it for the high frequencies (not so good for the lower frequencies.) The argument against was that 33-1/3 is overwhelmingly the most popular playback speed, and so the tests should be done at that speed. It's still a possibility to cut a side at 45 rpm, if enough people think it's important.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, shipping is a concern. Our best plan so far seems to be to have them pressed in Europe, with a portion shipped to the USA, Canada and Hong Kong. They would be distributed from there. Shipping from the USA has gotten very expensive, so it would be nice if sales outside the US did not have to be shipped from the US.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
On several belt drives you have to lift off the platter and manually move the belt, all while trying not to get skin oil on the belt

Is this possible to do while wearing latex gloves? (Or vinyl, or nitride, or cotton?) I bought a box of 100 nitrile gloves at the local warehouse club ("Costco") for a very low price; they're useful when scrubbing solder flux off PCBs using 99% IPA and other naughty organic molecules.

Last edited:
Sticks

On several belt drives you have to lift off the platter and manually move the belt, all while trying not to get skin oil on the belt

I have found that old steel knitting needles work like a charm to move the belt. I put a heatshrink on the end that I hold and clean the other ends with a little meths occasionaly.

I am not averse to an LP with 33.3 on one side and 45 on t'other, and am quite prepared to fork out a liitlle extra for two seperate LPs. I can always forego a some choclates and ice cream for a while. :)

Last edited:
I only suggested it in the case that, the use of 45rpm on a 12" piece of vinyl would benefit the cutting of better designed or higher fidelity signals for test proposes. If there is no major benefit seen in that respect then the matter is void anyway. One of the first posts after my suggestion did bring up a good point of correlation between 45rpm and 33rpm for any electronic measurements so maybe it's best if we stick to 33rpm as it also seems we are already asking quite a lot of the cutting equipment and press houses.

Also I thought it was a pair of discs anyway and am quite happy with that. (so maybe the space between tracks if needed would be available by spreading 1 disc onto 2 discs)

thanks guys
James

As far as I know there are no single speed decks for sale, at least for a reasonable cost (under $2K). Some require manual speed change (moving the belt / pulley) but that is a 30 second operation. Those with single speed pulleys use an electronic speed control (eg some REGAs, Pro-Jects, etc) so that is a one-button operation, and all the Japanese direct drives are one-button 33/45 RPM.

I don't see it as a huge problem. Does anyone have a 'table that won't do 45?