Test LP group buy

What’s the all-in cost with GZ?

GZ as well as RTI came to under 20 per unit with a run of 250 at 180g, along with jackets, inserts and other bells and whistles, with some variability depending on if we can pull off a 10inch, if we want 45 and 33rpm, etc. along with mastering fees and shipping expenses.

It’s been a while like Pano said I’ll have to dig through old emails.

I think we will need a top notch mastering / plating facility as half the battle here is that mastering houses are nervous about the welfare of their pricey cutter heads cutting what we are asking for.

Again, we’ll have to likely scale to harsh realities.

YouTube

We can make up for some of the limitations in the software.

Pano / Scott Wurcer can you please list completely the desired plant / playing requirements as they stand presently as well as define what kind of tolerance is acceptable to that figure? I.e. what you wanted to propose to GZ and where you thought their counter offer might land?

Last edited:
In March this year I had brief contact with "The Bakery LLC" re this Test LP. This is the off-shoot of the "The Mastering Lab" who mastered LPs for Sheffield Lab.

They were curious to hear more; url: The Bakery | Audio Mastering & Vinyl Mastering

"Thanks so much for contacting us through our website. Eric is available to master your record, and when you have a chance, please let us know more about the project specs...we're always curious.

Attached is a quote for all costs associated for the LP. In terms of the specifics pertaining the pressing of the album, we don't have any say in those matters so you will have to speak with your plant directly, however we can help with recommendations."

Might be worth it.

Kevin

Last edited:
Well there you go, no need for me to budge in.

What's holding you guys back?

Jan

Some one to say:

"Let's get ready to rumble!"

lets-get-ready-to-rumble.jpg

YouTube

;)

Cheers,
Jeff

Question, is the software and hence A/D mandatory or can a less sophistcated user still accomplish a setup using the planned tracks or some of them at least to dial in the setup?

In the old days there were some nice tricks left combining left and right plugs at the preamp switch to mono and a achieve a null etc...and other sort of manual and phyiscal steps with the right tracks accomplish most adjustments. I guess if we are depending on the software and analysis tools then it is a different skill level and tools requirement.

For example I own a scope but not the means to digitize my vinyl play back. so I could display left and right each on a scope chanel and invert or add them overlay them to to check symmetry, etc.

This project is certainly more complex than I thought, so kuddos to you guys for your perserverance to keep at it.

Paba

what a locked grove (w an clear marker = silent or click .. as would be natural on inner groove any way) can do, is linking signal w exact (or close) position on record..so an eccentricity estimate can be given coordinates (i.e. 'vector' instead of just amplitude in um).

This could be used to compensate/separate record / eccentricity aspects a little for a cleaner turntable/cartridge measurements . In a HW form used to try 'nudge the record' a little according estimated coordinates & 'lock position w a weight' and try again, when satisfied for minimal eccentricity -> go on you business w the other tracks on the that side = so to say tune the center hole imperfection down a little

but ok yes you could 'scratch' a marker on a normal groove as well .. but locked groove keeps repeating same signal over and over again so you could maybe harvest an averaging gain wrt to correlated vs uncorrelated sources = eccentricity is exactly harmonic w one revolution.. motor effects / other resonances / noises might not be.

if it had been possible to have coordinated marker position (coordinates a long a radial) on other tracks..eccentricity coordinates could be cross transferred to compensated other tracks as well (i.e a SW tuning for reducing the eccentricity aspect). But as I understood from the other thread this did not seem possible to do in practice (i..e controlled in press), but you could make a radial scratch (marker) along a ruler your self on those tracks/parts you would like to experiment with this

SO if it does not cost extra I would very much like to see this type locked grove (one on each side, as each side likely has different center hole precision)

Whole idea was make a cleaner turntable/cartridge/arm measurement

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe one on each side? Ssould both be 3150 Hz, or something else?
yes one on each side as the eccentricity will be different on each side (as most press have the two sides 'floating' independently under operation)

well just a high frequency which is harmonic with one revolution, i.e. in ideal condition an exact integer number wavelengths on one revolution. However as I could understand from other thread, the tolerances in master/cutting can not guarantee this sort of precision needed. Despite some 'non-integerness' - w a blank marker it should still be possible to use the signal as intended (and we DO need a reference/ marker which is also visible for our human eyes, to get an absolute coordinate interpretation)

Maybe a clear compass/watch marking around whole edge of center stamper, can help in the next step = ie. applying the eccentricity knowledge wrt compensation. It will be individual for each copy of record how the stamper is put. But for applying a iterative 'nudging' operation to compensate the eccentricity vector, I see it helpful wrt locating precise vector direction on the record.

For 'historic' reasons and those wanting operate existing audio/turntable test equipment, it could 3150 Hz (but if room other locked grooves w 2 or 3x this frequency could also be used if it can give a gain in the processing)

thanks for considering this option

well need a constant tone to record a good 'Doppler' track = displacement info. Just one marker to tell start/stop of one revolution. Breaking it up in small sections would make it unclear which marker to refer to = then you actual have ambiguity and lost you absolute reference.

However, for later application of displacement info .. some degree graduated visible scale on the printed stamper (is that the word? .. there where you normally have some graphics and a printed list of the track/songs etc) - would make it easier to place the displacement vector relative to the marker .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry, I don't mean that the tone burst track is used for audio, just as a visual reference that would be identical on every disk. I think the label will be applied almost randomly, so would serve only as a reference to each individual LP - if that matters. Scott - any thoughts?

A lock groove with a tone will have a default marker, I suppose, as the tone can't exceed the duration of 1 revolution, or 1.8 secs. There would be a silence once per turn, right? The tone in the lock groove might be only 1.5 secs long.

azhh ok .. instead of stamper scale and extra groove for identifying 30deg steps?.

Yes a blank marker would mean the modulation is a bit shorter than one full revolution

But think if you put a compass graduation stamper w 5-10deg markings, even though placed at random compared to marker.. first thing you note wrt your copy is the marker position wrt this scale. Then you have a fine graduated scale to move on from there wrt the vector location your SW processing tells you the eccentricity axis is compared to marker (as the marker should also be easily identifiable in the recorded signal)