Test LP group buy

re-read some older hifi magazines, with some folks from the pressing plants quoted that "180gram is a waste of resource, no advantage there. In fact, warpage as as bad for 180gram than for pretty much any other weight. For sound quality, no difference" was noted.
Different story for 45rpm though - this was considered "significantly better (not surprisingly), if good quality vinyl was used. "Coarse" grains of vinyl have a tendency to increase background noise."

So, if there is no difference, we might just as well go with 180gram, mechanical stability is a little higher..... thoughts?

Pressing Plant code word for recycled vinyl. Virgin vinyl does not have that problem.

Another thought is that we should be able to make a certain level of accuracy a condition of the deal with the pressing plant. In looking around it's clear that are a lot of complaints about poor pressings in recent production and off centered lps one of the issues. It might be good pr for a plant to step up to the challenge. It's not like they have no competition.

Ok, back in the saddle here. Went through a big move and then an injury to my foot which really set things back for me for a bit. Everything is ok, just mostly obnoxious to hobble around like an invalid.

I'm eager to get this LP onto wax! Seems a big setback is lack of faith in the pressing plants to give us a high quality final result, especially so for such a small pressing... (money talks?) but I think we can frame it in such a way to get maximum attention from them.Here is a quick draft at a form letter which we can utilize for pressing plant communications. This will also make it easier to streamline our plant communications, as inevitably most inquiries go to the Sales dept. and get the usual sales-pitch rigamarole.

Like Pano said, center hole is KEY and is something every plant has been very very cagey about. I think the only way to surmount this is to really drive home to the plants that this could be of huge marketing utility to them.

I need you guys with all the technical chops to fill in the blanks to set a definitive set of working criteria for the plating and pressing, center hole and any other parameter. In the meantime I copied LD's suggestion on CH tolerance. Use the Comment function to add suggestions.

Again, this is just a quick draft, as always I'd love to get everyones feedback and suggestions. The idea was to have it co-written by us all of course. I'm trying to fluff us up a bit as maybe this will catch their eye, but maybe I went too far? I try to always opt for the most humble route, but I'm thinking in this case it's important to show them the potential marketing value of our project to them. Just trying to get the ball rolling here again.

Letter is too long to include here so I've added it to the google drive:

[ Pressing Plant Form Letter First Draft ]

Last edited:
Glad you are on the mend, moving is bad enough, let alone adding an injury to that madness!

I think the letter is great, explains the importance and potential value of the over all project.

I think we might consider a few points.

Keep the letter to one page.
Enumerate the quantifiable parameters on a second page.
I like the quantifiable 'metrics' you included in the letter(thread views, etc), numbers tend to have strong impact ime.

The above suggestions really are nit-picks in reality. I think you covered everything quite well in your first draft.

Cheers,
~Gable

Hi SpaceIsThePlace and All,

IMHO this letter is fine as it is. To try and shorten it would, most likely, lessen the importance we as a group put upon the allowable tolerances and expected quality of the final product. The single page length is perfect; this then followed with the expected & allowable tolerances et al, and the signatories list. This list could even have the country of origin of each signee, to emphasise our spread around the world.

Kevin
South Africa

Last edited:
Hi team,
I have some procurement and negotiation experience and I don't think any letter will do it. Our requirements belong on the purchase contract (where the price is stated), we ask for a specific spec or tolerance range or whatever is applicable here and we put that in the purchase contract. Also we can try to get a clause that if the spec isn't met for 90 or 95% of the units or appropriate number they have the obligation to pre-print units and no extra cost. If we don't put conditions on our payment and what we expect as solution if they fail then it doesn't mean much. If they accept our terms and don't deliver then we have default to go after. Sorry if this sounds black/white or a bit tough but business is driven by contracts and transaction is a contract.
That said I think the factory will answer saying we quoted based on our normal tolerances which are x, y, z. if that is good for you then fine, we can't promise anything better. But at least we force them to write down what is their minimum spec commitment they are comfortable delivering. Up to us to change factory if we think we can get better spec elsewhere.
I guess what I;m saying is we should not accept a price/quote that doesn't detail this spec/tolerance. Or that price is meaningless. Think of it as price for liter of gasoline without being told if it is Super or Regular. Maybe it is a good price maybe not... there could be 20% difference in price gas between the two.

Hi paba,

Can't fault you on what you have just posted. The letter could however still be used to introduce our group and the reasons for what we are requesting.

I have always had a great respect for Sheffield Lab, and just took a look on their web-site () and see that their cost for a 12" Reference lacquer is $150 - $0-60 per LP for the mastering. We could ask them who their preffered pressing plant experts are, and take it from there.

Thoughts?

Kevin

P.S. That's a bust. When I returned to the website it popped up with a message saying that they are closing. Or are!! Back to finding a mastering service

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of course we should get specs in writing before we proceed. Part of what the letter does is to find someone who cares about the hole centering and will make an effort to get it right. Still need a spec in writing, and I agree that most will just say the specs are XYZ and that's it. Mastering and pressing plants are super busy these days, so it may be hard to get the attention we carve. :)

Hi team,
I have some procurement and negotiation experience and I don't think any letter will do it. Our requirements belong on the purchase contract (where the price is stated), we ask for a specific spec or tolerance range or whatever is applicable here and we put that in the purchase contract. Also we can try to get a clause that if the spec isn't met for 90 or 95% of the units or appropriate number they have the obligation to pre-print units and no extra cost. If we don't put conditions on our payment and what we expect as solution if they fail then it doesn't mean much. If they accept our terms and don't deliver then we have default to go after. Sorry if this sounds black/white or a bit tough but business is driven by contracts and transaction is a contract.
That said I think the factory will answer saying we quoted based on our normal tolerances which are x, y, z. if that is good for you then fine, we can't promise anything better. But at least we force them to write down what is their minimum spec commitment they are comfortable delivering. Up to us to change factory if we think we can get better spec elsewhere.
I guess what I;m saying is we should not accept a price/quote that doesn't detail this spec/tolerance. Or that price is meaningless. Think of it as price for liter of gasoline without being told if it is Super or Regular. Maybe it is a good price maybe not... there could be 20% difference in price gas between the two.

The unfortunate state of affairs is that no pressing plant we have currently spoken to (to my knowledge) is willing to give us an improved tolerance, or even give us a specific tolerance contractually at all. Like Pano said, we aren't exactly high on their priority list.

If you are familiar with negotiation you may know the term BATNA - Best Alternative to A Negotiated Agreement.

In this case, their best alternative (turning us down, zero income) is more attractive than the headache involved with such specific tolerances for an LP run of 250 copies... basically chump change to them. We aren't exactly rolling in with Capital Records letterhead either. From what we have found plants just don't seem to do this period, let alone for such a minuscule run from an outfit with zero history with the plant.

We have zero bargaining power in the traditional sense.... so, the hard line negotiation is a non-starter- hence the email.

The idea is that this email will eventually lead to a guarantee of some kind in writing- of course this is what we are shooting for, just starting the conversation in a different manner.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very good points raised. We do have to find someone with the passion to do it right. For example, Sheffield Lab might be interested in showing off their capabilities. Smaller outfits may not have the staff or ability to keep their equipment in top condition. That's what we need, so a well funded supplier is required.

Speaking from experience with other things, the best commitment to quality we may be able to get is "we'll do our best". It's not so much an out they are trying to create, but an honest effort to do their best with the possibility of exceeding our stated requirements. The one thing for sure is that we don't want to look like a problem customer. That will shut doors faster than asking for charity!

-Chris

I cut the copy down from ~620 words to ~420 words, fits on less than one page, moved requested specs to a separate page, laid off on any criticism of other test records, tried to make it sound more friendly, fixed some errors brought to my attention etc.

However, no one has provided any technical details besides the center hole tolerance which I pulled from a convo with LD. Surely that's not all of our specification? Can I get a helping hand? I don't want to see this project go dark... we are so close.

I also set up a mail account to hopefully keep all of the pressing plant emails under one roof. It may help us manage the group buy better as well- it's diyaudiotestlp@gmail.com

Again, letter is here.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We can't yet specify some of the specs, because we don't fully know what can be cut. That's for mastering. For plating and pressing I'm not sure that anyone here knows much about that, other than center hole dimensions and centering. Can flatness be specified?

Anyone who knows plating and pressing specs, please speak up.