Test LP group buy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was also wondering about equalized vs not, but that should be discussed with the mastering house. Since they are the ones normally applying the equalization, they would know how easy it is for them to leave it out.

We (Scott) could apply a perfect RIAA curve to the files before they are sent to mastering, but would that mess up their signal flow?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not sure about that, most cutting heads do not have flat frequency response and use EQ in addition to the RIAA cutting EQ to flatten out their frequency response or more correctly perhaps bring the overall system response into conformance with the RIAA cutting requirements. More likely you would want a mastering house that could tell you what their conformance to the standard actually is, and select on that basis.

How about a noise track or sweep with a linear frequency response before RIAA equalisation, to allow direct cartridge measurement without equalisation errors?

Yes, there would be value in asking for the RIAA to be turned off and providing an exact RIAA digitally. I know there are things that have to be corrected in the mastering lathe but I still think in lower audio BW's this is a better solution.

As for high frequencies the STR120 claims 50kHz response and it's a legacy test LP. They must be able to do this now.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
Yes! 3,150 Hz is it. I still have a 3M flutter meter that I restored. Don't ask me why I did that, 'cause I don't know. I used to use a Leader W&F meter. It would be nice to have it right now.

45 rpm on the flip side? I don't know. Maybe use that for extended distortion tones instead. Give you time to actually do an adjustment for a change.

-Chris

I like the idea of a group buy test LP very much.
Besides the price and the content the most important issue is the hole size en centering of the hole.

What kind of specification would be required?

I do life in the Netherlands and have two pressing plants relatively close by that I can ask questions on those details.

We can also consider to make it a double album. As far as I can see their pricing this would result in 50% cost price increase only.

From the second hand record market we can perhaps make use of some interesting distribution options.

To increase the Group Buy size we could post the opportunity in a next stage in the Group Buy development at other websites like Vinylengine and Lencoheaven. Keeping the technical/content discussion here at diyaudio

Regards,

Michiel

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There would benefit to everyone, in more ways than one, to spread the word and get a large number of buyers.

It may take months, tho, to figure out what's really useful on the LP. These sorts of projects don't move at lightening speed.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
50 kHz must have been cut at half speed or even slower. The cutting head is a far more massive oblect than a decent playback cartridge

I wonder about that, I can't imagine that every CD-4 discrete quadraphonic release was half speed mastered. Bandwidth requirements for CD-4 playback require response out to at least 45kHz. (The carrier frequency is 30kHz)