Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY CLD Plinth Design--A measured Approach
DIY CLD Plinth Design--A measured Approach
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2021, 09:07 PM   #331
hjam is offline hjam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks Bryan.
Old 14th September 2021, 03:56 AM   #332
hjam is offline hjam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats squirrel View Post
I wouldn't bother, Hugh, even if you could devise a way of damping those frequencies.

A panel the size of a turntable plinth will have its fundamental resonance frequency in the 100 to 500 Hz region. The fundamental resonance has the largest amplitude, usually followed by all the rest. Higher frequencies will have much lower amplitudes, usually. So the real problem to solve is with the fundamental and lower harmonics.
Bryan,

I had a good look at some older tests on Plinth sized material. Looks like you're right about the lower frequencies dominating - especially if I ignore the suspect spikes above 3khz.

I also tried the Accelerometer on a speaker cone at different frequencies. It looks OK up to 2500 hz. (6db/oct slope). Then it drops like a rock above that.

I think I'll still have to concern myself with resonances above 500 hz for the Linear Arm. Some of the supports will be much smaller than a plinth.

Thanks again.

Hugh
Old 14th September 2021, 08:18 AM   #333
2wice is offline 2wice  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats squirrel View Post
A panel the size of a turntable plinth will have its fundamental resonance frequency in the 100 to 500 Hz region.
Does this mean there are no topologies possible in plinth sizes that have a fundamental around 3khz?
Old 14th September 2021, 01:51 PM   #334
cats squirrel is offline cats squirrel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

even a panel of ply 100mm thick (yes, they do exist!) has a fundamental resonance around 600 Hz, but very close to the critical frequency (so havoc would ensue!). The fourth, sixth and eighth harmonics would approach 3 kHz though, but at a much reduced amplitude, compared with the fundamental.

Note, as the fundamental resonance frequency and critical frequency are very close, it will mean that there is no (or very little) help from the mass controlled region, the very reason to add mass! Irony indeed.

forward through scholarship, not bullship
Old 14th September 2021, 07:18 PM   #335
2wice is offline 2wice  South Africa
diyAudio Member

That all seems very true for a solid (no void), but that is very limiting when there are other topologies that do offer a 3Khz fundamental.

You can tune these forms to a wide range, I'm curious if they can serve a purpose.
Old 14th September 2021, 07:47 PM   #336
cats squirrel is offline cats squirrel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

well, if you can find that 3 kHz fundamental, the structure will be very small, I'm sure you can work out how to damp it.

forward through scholarship, not bullship
  Reply to this post

DIY CLD Plinth Design--A measured ApproachHide this!Advertise here!