Turntable plinth build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
Would like some advice from the resident experts here.

A while back, a Mitch Cotter table fell in my lap. After a couple of years, the Denon DP6000 that it was based on died. After a lot of studying my options,I decided to not pursue having the Denon repaired.

I commissioned John Parker of the now defunct Choir Audio to build me a platter,bearing,motor, and speed control based upon his Choir One table.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Choir Audio One turntable

I did a quick Rube Goldberg type jury rig and mounted the Choir Audio parts to the Cotter plinth. Beautiful music was made by it and the Fidelity Research FR66s tonearm, but it sure looked like crap. My wife now says to make it look pretty.

So I've got two options. I can leave the Cotter plinth in place and totally surround it in wood. I've got some 6/4 quartersawn black walnut in house that would look gorgeous when done. Sine the FR66s is going and a Riggle Woody should be here soon, I think my wife would be happy with how it looks.

The other option is to start from scratch on a new plinth to mount the Choir One parts to. Anything goes, but my woodworking skills far outshine my metalworking skills ( basically non-existent ). Since this is obviously a mass loaded design ( the Cotter plinth alone is almost 100 lbs ), I'm thinking the Cotter plinth is going to outshine anything else I could do. But I don't have the technical chops to access that.

So, what do you think ? Leave the Cotter plinth in play, or start from scratch.

Any advice or thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers, Crazy Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.