Klimo MM/MC Phono RIAA Head Amp Model "LAR" - Schematic wanted

Maybe a different model ?
Thank you. Unfortunately yes. The model "MERLIN" is a complete preamp - the RIAA-part is only made for MM cartridges.
Germany D KLIMO MERLIN ecc88 Valve Tube Preamp HiFi Preamplifier Assembled Board | eBay
In the model "LAR" (only a phono RIAA preamp without input selector and attenuator for volume control) is also integrated a MC step-up stage (i. e. an input for moving coil cartridges).
The tubes, which are in use here are "E88CC" (two pcs/each channel) and 12AT7 one pcs/each channel).

Bit late. But this appears to give the signal circuit, but not the power supply:

German D.Klimo LAR Gold Plus Tube MM/MC Phono Stage Pre-Amplifier Board DIY Kit | eBay

Curious about it myself. You can purchase either just the boards, part kit or full kit. s-l400.jpeg s-l400%20(1).jpeg

I´have completed my phono stage last week and now I am hearing with it. Actual with ortofon kontrapunkt. It sounds very good.In my opinion a bit better than my phono mopped or my ear 834p diy built. In compare to my accuphase phono stage there is a bit more noise. But it is more theoretical. The amplifiying is about 70dB - very high -in mc mode.

I am just finishing a Klimo LAR phono amp. In the audio board there is a slot labeled “pf”. I am guessing that is for a loading resistor. Can anyone confirm. Also, is the loading just for the MM or also the MC? I am new at this and would appreciate guidance. Thx.

I am just finishing a Klimo LAR phono amp. In the audio board there is a slot labeled “pf”. I am guessing that is for a loading resistor. Can anyone confirm. Also, is the loading just for the MM or also the MC? I am new at this and would appreciate guidance. Thx.

Without seeing the board, my guess is cartridge loading cap, hence "pf".

Hi,

I am hoping to revive this thread because I am very intrigued by this DIY kit. I really want to buy and assemble it, but need to find someone who knows how to select and properly connect the power transformer to it. I live in the US and require the 110V as input.

For the rest of the assembly I would hope to get by with the pictures I've been able to collect and maybe use the schematic that's been posted here, although I don't think it's complete and matches the version I am looking to build.

Just so you know, there are two versions of this kit available. The first uses two transistor-based power supplies for each channel board. This seems to be a variation, because the original D.Klimo LAR Gold Plus also has tubes in its power supply and it uses one power supply board for the two channels. 99.9% of vendors online sell this version. There is only one I found who sells the design that most closely matches the original.

This is the vendor's page on Ali Express: D.Klimo famous machine LAR Gold Plus tube MM MC phono preamp phono turntable Preamplfieir 1:1 copy copy for high end audio|Amplifier| - AliExpress

O1CN01ydmEZ81D11vkavSXC_!!672750155.jpg

O1CN011D11rQUG7VTZbJ8_!!672750155.jpg
In fact in this ad the vendor also has a link where one can buy the assembled form of these two versions, although they are too expensive for me (plus shipping cost is also very high).

I have a lot more pictures of this DIY kit as the vendor has been taking pictures for me from the already assembled version. I am hoping to simply copy what I'm seeing, but have to admit I do not understand the theory around the power transformer.

Can someone please guide me on what power transformer I'd need to buy to achieve 110V and how to connect it? I plan to document my assemble process and share it here to others can also realize this project themselves.

Thank you

Last edited:
So I'm sitting here with this kit almost finished and what I believe to be the correct transformer for it but am stumped (or stunned not sure which) as to the leads.
The transformer leads as follows, IN - 0V-115V BLK/RED and 0V-115V GRY/ORG. OUT - 0V-250V 0.1A YEL/YEL. - 0V-250V 0.1A GRN/GRN - 0V-8V 3A BLU/BLU GND Y/G

So would I be correct to connect up the 250-0-250 with the 0 being the GND lead? Therefor one board would be yellow-Y/G-yellow and the other would be green-Y/G-green? And for the low side connect the 2 Blue leads in parallel to the boards or one blue and one Y/G to each board?

Thanks, I am not looking to blow myself up! lol

So I'm sitting here with this kit almost finished and what I believe to be the correct transformer for it but am stumped (or stunned not sure which) as to the leads.
The transformer leads as follows, IN - 0V-115V BLK/RED and 0V-115V GRY/ORG. OUT - 0V-250V 0.1A YEL/YEL. - 0V-250V 0.1A GRN/GRN - 0V-8V 3A BLU/BLU GND Y/G

So would I be correct to connect up the 250-0-250 with the 0 being the GND lead? Therefor one board would be yellow-Y/G-yellow and the other would be green-Y/G-green? And for the low side connect the 2 Blue leads in parallel to the boards or one blue and one Y/G to each board?

Thanks, I am not looking to blow myself up! lol

Did you figure out the transformer secondaries configuration? Each channel needs a 250-0-250 and a 0-8V? So you need 5 wires for each channel?

I ran a quick sim in ltspice and it looks like a great performer. Only wonder how quiet the MC input would be, very difficult to implement a tube in that stage. Tempted to design a pcb but already have three tube phone preamps so I must resist :D

Besides my skills in pcb design are certainly lacking :)

Last edited: