WTB: Thorens turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a FUNCTIONAL thorens turntable, one of the following models:
td 125, td 150, td 165, td 160 may also be considered

It doesn't have to be in pristine condition as I will be rebuilding it, but it has to be functional, and has to come with an arm and a cartridge which I can use until I am able to buy a new arm/cart.

Preferably located in Canada, due to shipping charges, but US will be considered as well if the price is right. Europe is simply too expensive for shipping for me to be able to obtain it, BUT again, if both the price of the TT and the shipping is low enough, I will consider it!

I am looking to pay no more than about $80USD ($100ish CDN), plus another $20USD for shipping, so in total no more than $100USD AFTER shipping.

As I said, the condition its in is not of much concern to me, but it has to be fully functional. Please post here, or email me with anything that you may have.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
If you haven't yet you might want to check ebay. There are always a few Thorens listed.

I'm keeping an eye on ebay, and I've been following it for the past little while. Sadly, most of those found on ebay are in great britain, or US, and they go over my budget. There is a td 165 I'm looking at from canada, but the buyer for some reason cancelled and re-listed the item a day before it was supposed to end! Its a good price right now too, $40!

How easy is it to equip a thorens td165 with an arm compared to an AR AX (or xa .. )?
What about other mods, which is more accepting of them?

Btw, i'm still waiting for a response from woody. If he wishes to sell the AR to me, then AR it is. Otherwise there's a thorens and a couple ar's on ebay i'm keeping an eye on.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
elizard said:
How easy is it to equip a thorens td165 with an arm compared to an AR AX (or xa .. )?
What about other mods, which is more accepting of them?

Btw, i'm still waiting for a response from woody. If he wishes to sell the AR to me, then AR it is. Otherwise there's a thorens and a couple ar's on ebay i'm keeping an eye on.

It is about equally easy... i've done transplants on both. You do need to get the right arm. I have an AR here, but the headshell bolts have been ripped out so i was going to do an arm transplant. Got the arm (and could probably scare up another), just no time yet. Woody's sounds like a better deal than what i need to get out of mine.

As to other mods, since the Thorens is essentially the same topology as the AR (and the Linn) mods end up being simpler. The subchassis on the AR is more elegant and the wiring a little less "german" so it is probably the easier of the 2 to work with.

dave

Well, there's (what seems to be) a decent AR on sale in canada (which is always a bonus). The only problem is that it doesn't include a stylus.

Would I be able to purchase a grado cartridge and use it with the stock arm? (I was looking at a grado prestige black, or possibly if i'm willing to spend slightly more the prestige red)
Or would I have to replace the arm as well in order to use that cartridge? (I do plan on replacing the arm once there's more money, just not right away).

AR tt

Hi
Grab the AR!
This is the mother to wich most other suspended subcassis tt´s owe their genes ( do tt´s have dna codes?).
Rightly treated this can surpass most high end exotica available, but a bit harder to work on than a Thorens.
The original tonearm is far better than it looks, check for play in bearings, can be adjusted. Grado will work well. Changing arm takes a bit more work than other similar tt´s. As the subchassis is diecast You have to cut the tonearmend off and provide a method for attaching a mounting platform for a new arm. You also have to enlarge the hole in the top chassis which is made out of pretty thogh steel so You need a good blade on Your jigsawmachine. I have kept most templates for this kind of AR rebuild, so if You decide to go AR i´ll send You what info i´ve got.

Re: AR tt

ingvar ahlberg said:
Hi
Grab the AR!
This is the mother to wich most other suspended subcassis tt´s owe their genes ( do tt´s have dna codes?).
Rightly treated this can surpass most high end exotica available, but a bit harder to work on than a Thorens.
The original tonearm is far better than it looks, check for play in bearings, can be adjusted. Grado will work well. Changing arm takes a bit more work than other similar tt´s. As the subchassis is diecast You have to cut the tonearmend off and provide a method for attaching a mounting platform for a new arm. You also have to enlarge the hole in the top chassis which is made out of pretty thogh steel so You need a good blade on Your jigsawmachine. I have kept most templates for this kind of AR rebuild, so if You decide to go AR i´ll send You what info i´ve got.

How does $60USD sound for an AR (which looks to be in decent condition, can't check it out though, ebay!) without a stylus?

If I could get this one for $60-$70 (I'm willing to pay more for it since its in canada, so no customs/etc), then I'd definitely order a new cartridge right away. Is the grado black good, or should I get the project grado OEM you suggested, or step up to the grado red?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Grado works well... i have a source for inexpensive good used units if anyone is interested in a really budget cart.

When i did AR mods it didn't seem all that hard.... drilling a larger hole in the top plate does require a good drill and some patience. A couple appropriate washers is all you really need to create flat surfaces to clamp down the arm mounting assembly... sometimes i would also have to grind down the "legs" of the ibeam.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.