Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

A simplified universal differential or single ended phono preamp
A simplified universal differential or single ended phono preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2017, 05:28 PM   #11
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
still no 7th's
Pity, sometimes a minor seventh really helps a chord out.

Nice to hear it's well-behaved into overload conditions. Or, well, see.
Old 6th April 2017, 09:36 PM   #12
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
What is the CMR vs freq and the +/- PSRR vs freq?

THx-RNMarsh
CMRR was -86dB at 1kHz, pretty much follows the RIAA curve so I would say fairly constant with frequency. I was scared for a minute because I am using two channels of a sound card to make a true differential input and when I set the phase to 0 the CMRR didn't look so good. The DAC's turn out to have 0.5% gain mismatch, had to short the inputs and use one DAC.

I removed the bypassing and nothing oscillates so I was thinking I would try to measure PSRR by putting an old output transformer backwards to inject some AC in series with the supply with the 4 Ohm tap. Anyone try this before?
Old 6th April 2017, 09:55 PM   #13
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

About 7th harmonic:
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 11.png (461.3 KB, 973 views)
Old 6th April 2017, 10:02 PM   #14
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Congratulations Scott, you finally found the audio usefulness of using all fet designs! Can't make 7th harmonic? Good!
Old 6th April 2017, 11:18 PM   #15
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I removed the bypassing and nothing oscillates so I was thinking I would try to measure PSRR by putting an old output transformer backwards to inject some AC in series with the supply with the 4 Ohm tap. Anyone try this before?
I have made a box/little board with 2 BB/TI BUF634( 5pin-TO220) for Vcc/vee + noise / sweeper input but never really used it at all. Seriously, I need more time.

And I insist that the raw supplies are reasonably clean; if someone needs 110 dB PSSR
that means that he already has all the dirt on his board.

cheers, Gerhard
Attached Images
File Type: png Auswahl_003.png (292.7 KB, 1012 views)
File Type: png Auswahl_004.png (162.2 KB, 992 views)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Last edited by gerhard; 6th April 2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 7th April 2017, 12:29 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

That's what we do with VI's in the testers, looking to avoid building something I will never use again. I had a tech once that floated a whole Kronhite but made a miss-connection that let lots of magic smoke out.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 7th April 2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 7th April 2017, 01:35 AM   #17
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hey, I once worked for Verigy (ex HP) and I had a medium sized mixed signal tester just for my work; I was the only user, including somewhere an AP 2732(?, like an early eprom) which was a major PITA in the system and was floated. They needed someone who understood Unix/Linux drivers as well as TDR ... For me, it was too software-centric in the long run. Especially if they had the newest 50 GHz VNAs in the next cubicle and I had to ignore them. Yes, more than one or two.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Last edited by gerhard; 7th April 2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 7th April 2017, 07:08 PM   #18
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Almost missed the post of Scott's RIAA.
Thanks for sharing with us, and look forward to a high(er) gain version before too long.

Best regards,
Patrick
Old 7th April 2017, 07:42 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Using the same philosophy you might need 6DJ8's at the input rather than JFET's. The gain structure for open-loop amplifiers is a difficult trade-off unless you punt the THD and say -60db is fine or something like that.

OTOH I have a third board and lots of FET's from Paul Norton there might be a sweet spot with an LSK389 and more bias current to get the 14dB of gain back.
Old 7th April 2017, 07:50 PM   #20
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Remember the spice files I sent you a while ago for the version with 300x gain at 1kHz ?
In spice at least, THD is quite decent at 2Vrms out, using 4x 2SK372 at the input.
Maybe you would have another look at see if I have done something really silly......

Patrick

A simplified universal differential or single ended phono preampHide this!Advertise here!