Phono Termination Calculations and Calculator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have enough RR, Wilson, Sheffield labs and Crystal clear on vinyl for any collection, although the Don Mclean albums on CD more recently are superb, if needing to have the HDCD decoded.

What I meant was that in loading low enough to get a passive 75us rolloff you get a chunk noisier. That's why Bob only went to 8kHz, although it was shown here that a cooled load does work well here.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So, we can do this -- substitute LM4562 for LME49710 in each case. The gain setting resistor in the T5 compensated amplifier is lowered to 88 ohms so that the gains of both amplifiers are almost exactly equal. a 1us pole replaces the 75us pole so that some of the values change.

I'm open to suggested recording torture tests. We've used "Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances, Funeral March Andante con moto (tempo di valse), Reference Recordings 5" -- good (excellent) if you can find it.

Jack what happens if you add a few 100 pF to the input as cable cap in each case?

Jan

Last edited:
Jack what happens if you add a few 100 pF to the input as cable cap in each case?

Jan

Just theoretical -- the actual charts from the Bode 100 were created using a Shure M78 cartridge -- the simulations are close to what to expect from a Shure V15:

Attachments

• Cartridge Loading V15 47k.png
    Cartridge Loading V15 47k.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Cartridge Loading V15 5k2.png
    Cartridge Loading V15 5k2.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.