Proper TV/FM splitter, which?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not an expert in RF ... but I would go for the cheaper one ... unless an expert tell me to by the best one ... an expert with a very good explanation ... I never saw these small parts at this price ... if there was a lot of these at this price standing outdoor we would have to put an alarm system only for antenna wiring device ...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It is a simple mature product. There's not a "better" way to do it. Manufacturing defects can be "worse". I don't know if $2 or $6 buys better manufacturing or just more middleman mark-up.

I note the $2 product shows many happy users and about 5% "dead". Maybe play the lottery, buy three?

Neither! They both simply split ALL signals to 2 outputs.

This may work, but hitting the FM tuner with all the TV signals may cause all kind of problems of overload and intermodulation.

You need one called a TV/FM splitter which has outputs clearly marked as for FM and TV. These introduce some signal loss as they are passive. Active ones are also available, with multiple TV/FM outputs. As used in apartment blocks, &C

It does not seem that you have a problem with interference or cross modulation as Clifford mentions. Either of the splitters would work, it consists simply of three resistors inside it of 75 ohms each making a T-pad. The splitters you show are so cheap it is not even worth the effort making your own but you can. Remember to buy connectors and some coax as well.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can buy a splitter directly from ChannelMaster, a reputable outfit with a brand name to protect. 12 bucks shipped to Maine.

However I get mine where I can find them, often clean-up when at a friend's house, or the GoodWill. I dunno where I got the last one, but when the cable tech put his kilobuck meter on it, he said "good signal!".

The ground screw can be important. I have my main TV/innernet splitter right AT my main electric fusebox, with a #12 jumper to the System Interconnect Termination (fancy name for a screwy block of copper). This and a parallel bond at my meter-pole help to cut the hum-bar in the TV. (Which should not be, since it is all digital now?)

This seems to be the plan for a 1-to-2 50r split:

Attachments

• TV-splitter.gif
    TV-splitter.gif
    9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
What you need depends on issues like:
1. frequency bands used for TV and FM - do you want a wideband splitter or a frequency selective diplexer?
2. if simple splitter, then do you need a low loss inductive version or a slightly more lossy resistive one? Depends on how much signal you get from your antenna.

A resistive splitter is easy to make yourself - as PRR shows. For 75R you would use 25R resistors instead, but the exact value is not critical for broadcast reception.

No point in buying anything expensive, as cheap ones are being churned out by chinese factories.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.