Looking for the best SQ Phono LCR schematic

So far I have build
pacifica with 2SK170 very nice sounding phono, better than every build in phono on any commercial amplifier I have compare
D3a from audiodesignguide, more fast and more headroom from pacifica but little harsh, I've also tried E280F litle better but still harsh.
And finally shishido with EQ600 from hashimoto, compared to the other I am disappointed, I think I don't like the M follower stage Is not so natural as SE

I thinking now to try the original Tango with EF86 and 6463
Does anyone have to share his experience with tango schematic?
Any suggestions replacing EF86 with D3a and 6463 with E182CC?

Anyone has a copy of JLH's LCR phono schematic?

Also read from audioasylum 6SL7 based on Silk's design sounds very good.

Attachments

• 6sl7-lcr.jpg
    6sl7-lcr.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 481
So far I have build
pacifica with 2SK170 very nice sounding phono, better than every build in phono on any commercial amplifier I have compare
D3a from audiodesignguide, more fast and more headroom from pacifica but little harsh, I've also tried E280F litle better but still harsh.
And finally shishido with EQ600 from hashimoto, compared to the other I am disappointed, I think I don't like the M follower stage Is not so natural as SE

I thinking now to try the original Tango with EF86 and 6463
Does anyone have to share his experience with tango schematic?
Any suggestions replacing EF86 with D3a and 6463 with E182CC?
try the thorsten lcr there are two schematics ;)

as AD lcr look inside

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-30_19-29-50.jpg
    photo_2021-01-30_19-29-50.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 507
Today tried the Silk circuit with voskhod 6n2p-ev + ge 6072A, sounds much better than shishido though Thorsten mentioned the first stage current maybe too low to drive the LCR.
Only annoying is the grid leak, will try LED bias with Gyrator to keep the current at 1.5-2ma.
Wondering how Ale Moglia's hybrid mu-follower sounds, as I want to use it with EC8010 in the future.

Attachments

• Transformer_LCR3.jpg
    Transformer_LCR3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Just share some update,

There is a bit distortion using Silk circuit, so I decided to use Valve Itch Phono's first stage and added a source follower (10ma), now it has enough power to drive the LCR while the sound is too aggressive. (http://emisukeaudio.sakura.ne.jp/EM-TUBE_EQ3_Ver2_KAI.pdf)

Then I built the gyrator hybrid mu-follower (bartola.co.uk) to replace the top tube, had to increase the Rmu from 470ohm to 50K, running at 1.5ma it drives the LCR well and better than previous experiment. IMHO this is not really the place for 6n2p as the hybrid mu-follower expect around <5K range of Rp, 6n2p-ev is 40K+.

Next step is to try the E88C and EC8010 as first stage.

Actually I only built the phono portion (first 4 tube stages) not the preamp portion.
The gain is pretty high already.
6SL7(with CCS 1.5ma) + 6SN7 CF(6ma) + 33uf + LCR600 + 6SL7 (1.5ma) + 6SN7 CF (2ma).
The CCS for first stage really makes the difference.

Last edited:
Finally settled down with two flavours.
The bigger signal into LCR the better, ideally > 0.2v

1. EC8010 (15ma) + gyrator (mu follower) + auricap xo 33uf + SILK LCR 600 + 6e6p-dr (triode at 20ma) + gyrator, gain is 60x0.1x35
2. 6J9P-E (best pentode mode, Vg2=130v, 16ma) + Lundahl LL1660 18ma (4.5:1) + Allnic LCR 600 + 6e6p-dr (triode at 20ma) + gyrator, gain is 50x0.1x35

Last edited:
These are relatively recent schematics to add. Both from the same site.
I just got the hashimoto 20k/600 and H-EQL. They were reasonably cheap and I have the rest of the stuff in hand, so why not? I am building the Salas valve itch first and I will get the PS and the basic building blocks ready.
I am liking the first stage of the Kanno to the H-EQL, no caps but adding two more xformer/channel seems crazy and I am having a hard time following the step ups&downs in the voltage and figuring out what you get as output. However, the lower circuit with the higher gain 12AT7 + follower seems interesting as an alternative to the Shishido and its huge output caps that to me seem counter to the whole LCR philosophy.

Making a hybrid circuit results in only one small cap in the signal path at the end, after all amplification and equalization are done.
Comments appreciated.

kannoLCR.jpg

recent_lcr.png

Reactions: 1 user