Jean Hiraga RIAA Phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

WOnder if there is any pointer or expereince share on the above mentioned gear.

I understand that Hiraga has a very minimalist but nice sounding phono circuit that can be built with battery power supply.

I only heard about it, would appreciate some pointer for details.

Thanks

Hi
Jean Hiraga designed a riaa stage based on ECC83 tubes with passive riaa correction between gain stages, not battery operated of course.
He designed a MC step-up amp, simplest device ever, to my ears best step-up there is. This is battery operated, 2 lead acid 6V cells 10Ah + 2x 500 000 uF caps.
Hiraga is closely associated with Dr Kaneda and it might be the Kaneda preamp you´re thinking of. This is still one of the best preamps around, simple but hard to build as it requires extreme matching of input stage fet´s and still is hard to balance ( offset drifts ). Not battery operated , +/- 30 V rails.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Jean Hiraga designed a riaa stage based on ECC83 tubes with passive riaa correction between gain stages, not battery operated of course.

Actually that's not his design but a rework of the Japanese Sunsey "Minimum". It used only one ECC83 per channel for phono, I'm not sure if it was a passive RIAA but I can check if must be.

Later on the "Le Tube" was offered as a kit by their daughter company and retail outlet "La Maison de L'Audiophile".

The prepre used batteries as an option but could just as well be run from the mains supply.

No idea if the original FETs can still be bought but I'm sure people have come up with workarounds/equivalents.

Cheers,;)

Variation of the same theme:

Tube-Phono-Preamplifier-Schematic.png

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

This was a very dynamic design.
Like to use it 'straight' as I/V stage.

I remember I saw a PCB [on ebay] some time ago.
Does anyone have a hint?
thanks in advance.
albert

That's the "Le tube" preamp' I guess. A single ECC83/12Ax7a per channel where the first tube set the gain (MM only) and was direct coupled to the second halve, a CF? Right?

Using PCB helped no end.

A lot of efforts have been made since then to lose the music. They were all succesful.

Ciao, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.