Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)
Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2019, 07:42 PM   #431
Greggan is offline Greggan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWh View Post
Hi Steve:

Was wondering how accurate is this unit compared to the Phoenix road runner. Not being a software guy I do not have a clue on what you are doing to the single sample rate on the platter.

Both units display to a thousand of a rpm but I guessing there is alot of math and rounding to get there.

Thanks Tom
Everything is a compromise correct me if i'm wrong!
Old 8th November 2019, 07:49 PM   #432
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Can you make it measure wow and flutter?
Old 8th November 2019, 08:00 PM   #433
Greggan is offline Greggan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
Can you make it measure wow and flutter?
Not at the moment but I guess it possible.
The source code is open so I wouldn't mind if someone would like to look at the possibility's
And I would love some help to get that feature included
Old 8th November 2019, 09:36 PM   #434
scobham is offline scobham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi cbdd, well I guess that's what we are trying to eliminate entirely with a feedback loop. So currently I am seeing movement by a couple of thousandths after the system has settled. That is also without any averaging of the display. I am trying to eliminate that as well. After discussing a few ideas with Pyramid I am going to see if I can improve further at the weekend. I suppose I could add a % variation to indicate frequency wobble (wow) but flutter needs to measure a high frequency tone which I don't think we can achieve.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:15 AM   #435
gregorjank is offline gregorjank
diyAudio Member

scobham,
Great work. Can't wait for final results.
Do you have any cost estimations for kits / assembled units?
Old 10th November 2019, 01:34 PM   #436
diyAudio Member

Attached is a BOM for v2.0 prototype boards. There are currently two remaining. Prices including UK shipping. The prototype options are:

1) Bare PCB and Pre Programmed Arduino Nano 18.00 GBP
2) Full kit of parts as per attached BOM 48.00 GBP
3) Fully assembled and tested board 98.00 GBP

a) If you want the optional FFC / FPC RA header so you can use a Linn flexible circuit switch (e.g. if fitting inside a Linn LP12 replacing a Valhalla) then that's 1.00 GBP extra.

Options 2 & 3 are complete with all parts (I2C 128x32 OLED display, DDS generator PCB's, Arduino, IR detector, passives, semiconductors, heatsinks. terminal blocks etc). All you need to add is a power switch (momentary action), indication LED and external enclosure for board (if not fitting inside TT) and enclosure for IR detector & display. (Greggan has produced an excellent 3D printed enclosure that can house the IR sensor & OLED display. Checkout his website).

If you want shipping outside of UK please contact me with your address and I will work out how much extra it will be.

Once feedback from early adopters gained and kit assembly instructions refined I will open a formal group buy option.

One note of caution: This kit contains a SMPS that is not isolated from the mains supply (similar to Linn Valhalla board). I recommend you build and test with an isolation transformer/step down transformer (100 - 240v @ 120mA) for safety of you and your test equipment. You must be confident and competent working with voltages 90V - 320V.

The above being said, the kit is straightforward to build and I will provide full comprehensive instructions on safety procedures, modular build and testing plus actual setup with your turntable. The most difficult part is tuning the PID parameters via serial interface/tuning application.

As a reminder these boards are designed to work with 2 phase synchronous motors 50Hz/60Hz that work off 6V - 110V RMS (160v p2p) that have a current consumption of approximately 10mA per winding. AKA Premotec, Airpax, Philips motors as used in Linn, Rega, Manticore, ProJect and other compatible turntables Two boards can be stacked to drive 3 or 4 phase motors. You may be able to use them on shaded pole motors by using a single phase as long as the voltage and current requirements match the board specifications above. I have not tested on anything other than synchronous motors. If your motor draws more current/voltage then you will need to use an off board supplementary amplifier as per Pyramid's SG4. This motor controller can be used as a source for the sine waves and to handle the tacho & feedback/control functions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TT Motor Controller BOM.pdf (430.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by scobham; 10th November 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10th November 2019, 02:16 PM   #437
diyAudio Member

List of current features for the Motor Drive PCB and Tacho. Will consider anything sensible/possible for addition. e.g.WOW indication as previously suggested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Current features.pdf (273.7 KB, 41 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #438
themcneills is offline themcneills  United States
diyAudio Member

Just finished reading through this thread and I'm stunned once again by the creativity and skill that has gone into pushing this project forward. Thanks to everyone who has shared!

I am planning a speed controller and tach for my upcoming Lenco plinth build, and I'm encouraged to see that others have successfully used this with Lencos. My question is if anyone thinks it would be possible to output the RPM reading to Nixie tubes instead of a LCD display? Wouldn't that look cool?

I don't know how to do it, but if anyone has thoughts, please do share.

Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)Hide this!Advertise here!