Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)
Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2017, 06:27 PM   #21
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauro0221 View Post
Hi,
This is to let you that I converted my Turntable rpm display to run from Zbasic to Arduino UNO. For the sensor I used the TCRT5000 Single Channel Line Tracking Sensor Module and for the display from Mouser part number : 763-0216K3ZNSWBBW-V3. It is a 2 lines 16 character serial interface display. You can use any display since the display output can be modify/customize for the desire output message format. To get the pulse from the platen it require a reflective strip stick to the platen.

Attached are some pictures show my test jig using a Pioneer Turntable.
If your are still interesting please send me a PM so I can email the program.
hey! could you please post the code for everyone to learn?
thank you
Old 9th January 2017, 03:41 PM   #22
tauro0221 is offline tauro0221  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,
For those that requested it attached it is the Arduino Uno sketch for the display the turntable RPM program. I already posted some pictures showing how to install it. Warning: I need to changed the sketch file from .ino to .txt to be able to attached. You need to change it back to .ino to be able to read it by the Arduino IDE.
Attached Files
File Type: txt turntable_rpm_display_intrp_01_08_2017_2.txt (5.5 KB, 246 views)
Old 9th January 2017, 04:16 PM   #23
JOHNNYCR100 is offline JOHNNYCR100  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member

Hi Tauro0221'
Much thanks for makeing it for guys like me to understand.., on the strength of this new data I shall order the parts today and have a go, thanks again, your da man

Best regards
Johnny
Old 9th January 2017, 06:10 PM   #24
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

A couple of questions about your source code:

1. It appears this is setup for a crystal running at 16MHz?

2. You get a reading every 2 revs?

3. You will get an false reading when the counter rolls over every ~ 4:45?

4. There doesn't appear to be any boundary check; i.e. it will give a speed reading from 1000s of RPM to 1 rev/hour?

5. What happens if the platter stops before one rev is complete after the first trigger? What happens if the platter comes to rest with the sensor in the triggered position?

You can also simplify your math by doing only one calculation: rpm= 60,000,000/(end_rev-start_rev).

Last edited by Pyramid; 9th January 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 9th January 2017, 06:56 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi,
The Arduino Uno run with a cristal of 16mhz. The display will stopped if you turn off the turntable since it using the interrupt 3. It will keep the last reading. You can add a test to prevent it but the reason didn't added it is that adding the check instructions will take time from the reading. You want to make the program as short as possible to get an accurate reading. The program can be improve but I was using it to control the speed of my Garrard 35 turntable using Zbasic micro. This is a converting program from Zbasic to Arduino. I am a newbie learning how to program in Arduino. Maybe when I learn it will improve it. Remembered I trashed my Garrard 35.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:18 PM   #26
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauro0221 View Post
Hi,
For those that requested it attached it is the Arduino Uno sketch for the display the turntable RPM program. I already posted some pictures showing how to install it. Warning: I need to changed the sketch file from .ino to .txt to be able to attached. You need to change it back to .ino to be able to read it by the Arduino IDE.
Thank you!
Old 9th January 2017, 08:55 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi,
For those interesting attached it is a drawing showing how to built the system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turntable instll wiring.jpg (179.4 KB, 693 views)
Old 26th February 2017, 11:21 PM   #28
Frogeye is offline Frogeye  United States
diyAudio Member

A great addition to the SG4. I have ordered an Arduino Uno and will be ordering the sensor. One question: how difficult would it be to change this to use the same readout that is used with the (stock) SG4? ( Or, perhaps, one with more digits to look even more impressive.)
I am using the Slimline 2U case from the DIYAudio store and have plenty of internal space but I would like the displays to match.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this and the other related threads.
Old 27th February 2017, 12:35 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I modified the program so you can use the serial LCD used in the Arduino library instead the serial LCD that I used with the serial interface built in. I do not know to much of the SG4 but you can use any serial character display with any character length. The most common ones are 2x16, 2x20, 4x16 and 4X20. Normally the Arduino LCD used 6 parallel lines or you can use the I2C interface that convert the serial to 6 line parallel.
Old 27th February 2017, 06:58 AM   #30
InSides is offline InSides
diyAudio Member

Assuming that the micros() function is used on Arduino, a 16MHz based board would yield a precision of approximately 4uS.

Here is an approach to further increase precision to approximately 0.5uS:

How to get an Arduino micros() function with 0.5us precision

Might not be needed past the 4uS resolution, but it is there for further experimentation.

I have had good success with non-latching hall effect sensors. One reading per revolution seems to be precise enough, but one can always attach multiple magnets to a platter and have multiple readings per revolution - with one caveat - precise positioning of multiple magnets is crucial to get accurate readings. Using just one eliminates that requirement at the (possible) expense of precision.

I've seen some commercial turntables which use optical sensors have up to 4 markings on the platter.

Digital Tachometer for record player (LCD display)Hide this!Advertise here!