Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

What would you want to see in a book on electronics for vinyl replay? Douglas Self.
What would you want to see in a book on electronics for vinyl replay? Douglas Self.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2016, 06:29 PM   #21
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Another idea:

Modern approach to BLDC motor control for direct drive motors (for old turntables).
Old 8th December 2016, 07:01 PM   #22
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmiddelkoop View Post
Yes, and this must cover the capacitive loading also.
I have been pondering this. The big uncontrolled variable seems to be the capacitance of the deck-preamp cable. That can be reduced to effectively zero by driving the cable screen as a guard, as in the Neumann PUE-47 phono amp. Is anyone aware of any other guarded phono inputs?
Old 9th December 2016, 04:43 AM   #23
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

(Audio noob here.) I was wondering with availability of modern high gain devices if it is possible to discard step-up transformer for low output moving coil cartridges ? And if possible then a circuit design for that perhaps ?
Also if it is possible to design a circuit independant of resistive load and capacitance (that cartridge manufacturers talks about) ?
Thanks and regards.

Last edited by Hiten; 9th December 2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 9th December 2016, 04:57 AM   #24
Rodeodave is offline Rodeodave  Austria
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Motor controllers for DC, single and multi phase motors. Maybe even servo/regulator circuitry utilizing tacho signals derived from strobes. Also, line filtering for motors.

Strobes.

DIY arm lifts and/or limit switching circuitry.

MC head amps of varying complexity.

A bit more on electric load synthesis, maybe with discrete circuitry, I really liked that approach.
Old 9th December 2016, 06:04 AM   #25
Bob Richards is offline Bob Richards  United States
diyAudio Member

What would be useful for me is how to use a good test record for calibrating the R and C loading of the MM cartridge. I'm convinced that that is more important than getting the RIAA curve within 3dB of correct. A good discussion of MC cartridge issues and loading too. A phono preamp circuit project would be a fun way to explore each issue, and give something to a newbie who really just wants to copy a known good circuit. There's tone arm mechanical adjustments that should be talked about in full detail (azimuth, antiskating, etc.). Preamp noise measurements too.

What would make the book more interesting to me (as opposed to useful), would be stories about the history of the development of records, record players, etc. Lots of pictures of the Engineers in their labs, etc.

I don't recommend excluding issues related to any of the things I mentioned just because other books do a perfectly good job of explaining them. Write a book that is all a tech would need for anything related to cartridges, tonearms, phono preamps and calibration.

Also maybe a section on early EQ variations for those who want to play very early records, to hear music that may never have been copied onto a regular RIAA record or CD or whatever. Many musicians thrive on very early recordings from the 20's and 30's. I've been asked about this and had no real answers.
Old 9th December 2016, 11:42 AM   #26
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

More on modeling cartridges, especially the practical methods one uses to accomplish such.
Old 9th December 2016, 12:10 PM   #27
rif is offline rif  United States
Neither a cowbow nor dog owner
diyAudio Member

Jim Hagerman talked about adding a pole (terminology?) to the riaa curve. I'd like to here more on the validity of that.

Also would like to see some circuits and analysis of inverse riaa circuits.
Old 9th December 2016, 02:48 PM   #28
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
(Audio noob here.) I was wondering with availability of modern high gain devices if it is possible to discard step-up transformer for low output moving coil cartridges ? And if possible then a circuit design for that perhaps ?
I published an amplifier that meets these requirement in December 1987 in Electronics World. An updated version appears in my book Small Signal Audio Design (both editions)

Quote:
Also if it is possible to design a circuit independant of resistive load and capacitance (that cartridge manufacturers talks about) ?
Thanks and regards.
Since cartridge makers seem to depend on the HF resonance to get a decent freq response I don't see how this is possible.
Old 9th December 2016, 02:57 PM   #29
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Deep learning? What is that and why would we need it?
Deep Learning is a buzz word for the generation of processing algorithms who's parameters are generated from the statistics of real-world data. As a method, it side-steps the need to develop a clearly defined analytical model of the problem up-front and then trying to 'fix' it where it meets the real-world.

In practical terms, you'd develop a processing algorithm that would edit the sound track to remove pops and ticks based on a set of parameters. These parameters would be determined by having the system 'listen' to many many many examples of pops and ticks. This is the 'learning' step and it would be performed by the manufacturer; the parameters would represent the IP of the manufacturer.

That's my take on it. Google the term and you'll be rewarded(?) with more reading material than you can handle.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 9th December 2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 9th December 2016, 02:59 PM   #30
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasSelf View Post
I claim no special expertise in the mechanical area.
I realize that, which is why I suggested your seek 'guest authors' for those chapters. At the end you would have the 'bible' on vinyl. Without it you have a very desirable book, but not the 'bible' on vinyl.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

What would you want to see in a book on electronics for vinyl replay? Douglas Self.Hide this!Advertise here!