Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Modifying turntable speed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2016, 10:02 AM   #1
AlexanderN is offline AlexanderN
diyAudio Member

Default Modifying turntable speed

Hey folks.
I wonder how to modify my turntable so it will play the music in a different speed / pitch. It should be possible to play vinyl with exactly 432Hz. I have a Sony ps-lx3000usb and I thought I could simply put a resistor in front of the engine, that drives the actual "table" to slow it down. But I don't think it is as simple as this.

Do you have any advice? I will have a close look inside my turntable when I can find the time for that but until then I would like to get a little bit of input.

And please, do not tell me that it is pointless to pitch the audio or that my plans are stupid. That is not what an audio forum is about.

Greetings
Alex
Old 24th October 2016, 11:11 AM   #2
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

First off, telling us in your first post on the forum what this forum is about is a little presumptuous.

Having said that, you have a cheapy USB turntable. It gives you a digital output that you can then feed into (say) audacity and control speed that way. If you want real time pitch control you would be better off getting a decent 80s turntable where they had that as standard. The quality will be streets ahead of this unit.

The sony is a belt drive. You don't need to move the belt to change speed so there will be some form of controller there, but you'll have to reverse engineer that as unlikely service manuals available yet. Might just be a resistor, might be a bit more complex.

I am intrigued as to why you think so many recordings are out of pitch, or are you adjusting to play along (usual reason for a pitch control)?
Old 24th October 2016, 11:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's not important whether it is senseless or not recommended or whatever. I am just curious about that. Of course it would be easier to buy a turntable with that function. I am just looking for people who want to (theoretically) give advice or ideas about this topic.

And I just enjoy listening it in 432Hz. It makes me feel good. Doesn't matter if that is ridiculous or not.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:55 AM   #4
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I never said it was ridiculous. I've not got perfect pitch so I am happy with A=440Hz despite what some academics might think is correct.

Like I said, try audacity unless you have to have real time playback.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

At a guess and without ever having seen one I would imagine there is either a small PCB with two presets , one for 33 and one for 45 or perhaps one (or two) presets accessible on the motor itself that are used for speed control.

Open it up and see what is in there.
Old 24th October 2016, 12:12 PM   #6
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Playing a normal A at 432 Hz is only part of the story. If you slow down your turntable (and tape recorder, and CD player, and PC and radio and smartphone), the rhythm of the music would slow down too. Which was not the intent of the composer, I guess. But you can buy good recordings of early music played on contemporary instruments with "baroque tuning" (from the era when there was no standard pitch at all ).
Old 24th October 2016, 01:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am taking about "newer" music like pink Floyd or the Beatles. I don't matter if the rhythm is slightly slower. (were talking about 32.72RPM) I will look inside when I have time (I'm pretty busy at the moment)...
And audacity is not an option, because I want it real time. Without any editing. And I like the point of "two modes on the pcb" I thought of something similar.
Old 24th October 2016, 01:58 PM   #8
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Your solution could be a Technics SL-1200 with the big slider on the right, permitting +/- 8% pitch control.
Old 24th October 2016, 02:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I cannot afford that. That's why I want to mod my turntable.
Old 24th October 2016, 02:04 PM   #10
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

So at some point you are going to have to have a look and see what is in there.

Modifying turntable speedHide this!Advertise here!