Little Bear T8 MM/MC Phono — gain modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
So I'm trying to use the Little Bear T8 phono, but the gain is a bit too low with the Grado cart I use. Which resistor should I replace and what value? I can read schematics but my knowledge basically ends there - not sure which resistors are best to replace. Please advise :)

attachment.php

Did my best with the schematic, this is only the right channel, MM signal path. "In" is where cartridge connects, "Out" is the RCA output...

Attachments

• t8.png
    t8.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,973
Last edited:
Joined 2011
the gain is a bit too low with the Grado cart I use. Which resistor should I replace
and what value? 470uf each.

You could try bypassing the source resistors of the two gain stages.
Ai least 100uF to 470uF across each of the two 680R should help.

You can eliminate the input coupling capacitor, it isn't needed.
The jfets are usually shown "upside down" compared to this drawing.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Well I was only thinking of replacing some resistors as I really haven't got the knowledge
to redesign it. Will play with RR8 and RR14 tomorrow...interesting

Don't increase them very much, or the second stage will more easily clip half of the waveform.
Perhaps you could get away with as much as 5.1k for each. This should increase the overall gain
by something like 4dB.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.