Connecting turntable to two different amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi... I have a question regarding connecting my turntable to two different amplifiers and I was hoping that somebody here will be able to help me out...
I have one turntable that goes into a phono preamplifier. Now I have one amplifier connected to a pair of bookshelf speakers and another low-powered tube amp connected to a pair of higher efficiency single-driver speakers.
What I want to do is connect the turntable to the two different amp-speaker setups but only want to play the turntable with one set of amp-speakers at any given time.
So can I connect some sort of switch box between the phono preamp and the two different amplifiers to make this thing work?
Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions...
@Skrabbe: Unfortunately the two amplifiers only have one input each and I have to connect the phono preamp to both of them
@nigel: you know I looked at switching boxes by the likes of Niles etc and they only accept speaker wires. Can you direct me to something that will have one pair of RCA inputs and two pairs of RCA outputs? Haven't been able to find something like that online.
Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This would be a very simple thing to DIY actually. All you need is six RCA jacks, a good quality rotary switch with two decks (or a DPDT toggle switch if the possibility of somewhat diminished stereo separation doesn't concern you), some wire, and a box.

You will obviously need some tools, most particularly a solder iron, wire strippers, drill, and a wrench as a minimum.

The alternative would be a switch box from eBay or have someone make you one.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you just want to buy something this would work:

RCA 2X1 2 In 1 Out 2 Way Port 3-RCA AV Audio Video Switcher Switch Selector Box | eBay

Just ignore the video jacks and connect the phono stage to the jacks labeled output and the amps to the jacks labeled inputs, since the box is passive the box can be used in an orientation opposite to what the designer intended.

There is some commentary about 47K input impedance and 1K output impedance which probably means there are possibly some resistors in the box that might or might not pose an issue if you don't have rudimentary electronic knowledge - likely though the box will just work, if not we can help you to modify it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.