Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2019, 07:50 AM   #831
jonnyk2112 is offline jonnyk2112
diyAudio Member

Default re: Part availability on mouser

Thanks so much, placed the order tonight.

I must admit that I find search on the mouser site difficult, this bit of hand holding is greatly appreciated.

Jon
Old 26th October 2019, 08:05 AM   #832
RAYSIMMONS is offline RAYSIMMONS  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello, is there anyone willing to sale a spare pcb for this project?

Thanks.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:23 PM   #833
claxton is offline claxton
diyAudio Member

Default SG4 display ribbon header cable and other stuff

Hello, finally got round to building the turntable power supply. My regular power supply for the LP12 is the Naim Armageddon , one speed, 33.3 rpm. I donít like pulling my treasured LP12 apart just to play the odd 45, Thus the reason for my interest in this project.
I have put some pictures on to share a few of my workarounds. The most important one is my magic potential divider to drop the output a bit from the SG4 there was also a slight difference in gain between the 0 degrees and 90 degrees (amplifier or step up transformers) Ö From the SG4 current runs through a 10k resistor and then down to ground via a 1k resistor , the second phase has a 100k resistor paralleled with the 1k resistor , it took me yonks to fathom this out and its probably all wrong but it works perfectly. Both phases now have the same voltage. The other thing that took some getting my head round was the orientation of the headers on the ribbon cable for the display. Look at the pictures and you will see my solution, divide the 16 wire ribbon into 8 pairs and invert each pair before attaching them to the header, its neat and works. All in all very pleased with the results , and I havenít electrocuted my self in the process.

Many thanks to Mr Pyramid .Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:12 PM   #834
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claxton View Post
I havenít electrocuted my self in the process.
Congratulations!

Yet, you mention nothing about the sound compared to the Geddon.

And the link to the pic points to your own desktop.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:49 PM   #835
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claxton View Post
Hello, finally got round to building the turntable power supply. My regular power supply for the LP12 is the Naim Armageddon , one speed, 33.3 rpm. I donít like pulling my treasured LP12 apart just to play the odd 45, Thus the reason for my interest in this project.
I have put some pictures on to share a few of my workarounds. The most important one is my magic potential divider to drop the output a bit from the SG4 there was also a slight difference in gain between the 0 degrees and 90 degrees (amplifier or step up transformers) Ö From the SG4 current runs through a 10k resistor and then down to ground via a 1k resistor , the second phase has a 100k resistor paralleled with the 1k resistor , it took me yonks to fathom this out and its probably all wrong but it works perfectly. Both phases now have the same voltage. The other thing that took some getting my head round was the orientation of the headers on the ribbon cable for the display. Look at the pictures and you will see my solution, divide the 16 wire ribbon into 8 pairs and invert each pair before attaching them to the header, its neat and works. All in all very pleased with the results , and I havenít electrocuted my self in the process.

Many thanks to Mr Pyramid .Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV13906 ribbon header small.JPG (664.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13905 front small.JPG (601.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13907 sg4 headers small.JPG (682.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13908 divider small.JPG (684.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13910 ribbon small.JPG (610.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13912 divider small.JPG (682.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13913 back small.JPG (628.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13914 sg4 plan small.JPG (673.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg SNV13917 header ribon small.JPG (616.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 8th November 2019, 04:31 PM   #836
diyAudio Member

Hi Analog, thanks for the congratulations. The pictures were a bit of a faff on, but got there eventually. To early to comment on sound, but I can say it's very well behaved, no hum and no switch on pops or thumps. I think the LP12 likes it too :-)
Old 10th November 2019, 03:53 PM   #837
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
Pyramid:

Ahh, I completely misunderstood VPP. I don't have a 'scope.

No coupling caps were added. What might be the cause of the different outputs?

Regards,
Scott
Hi SRMcGee, I also measured a higher voltage on 67.5 hz. I put it down to the meter measuring RMS and not peek to peek, the peek to peek is probably the same. I put it down to the fact that the higher frequency is more powerful and contains more electrical energy. By the way I'm a complete novice and could be wrong.
Old 13th November 2019, 03:07 PM   #838
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

claxton:

Uhmm, as I recall, adding a 1k resistor in series with the 2.2k resistors on the amp made it possible to fully resolve the issue I was having. I am not an engineer and I work at a fairly rudimentary level, but I suspect your analysis (high frequencies contain more electrical energy) is off-base.

In any event, I'm glad your SG-4 is working for you. I'm very pleased with my build.

Regards,
Scott
Old 13th November 2019, 06:51 PM   #839
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMcGee View Post
claxton:

Uhmm, as I recall, adding a 1k resistor in series with the 2.2k resistors on the amp made it possible to fully resolve the issue I was having. I am not an engineer and I work at a fairly rudimentary level, but I suspect your analysis (high frequencies contain more electrical energy) is off-base.

In any event, I'm glad your SG-4 is working for you. I'm very pleased with my build.

Regards,
Scott
SRMcGEE'
Your'e right. Power, evidently is not frequency dependant. I just presumed it was. An oscilloscope might give an answer ! The way mine's set up, at maximum output (128 on the SG4 display) my meter reads 99.5 Volts ac 33.33Hz and 101.5 at 67.5 Hz. Maybe it's something to do with the amplifier or amplifier power supply, being less effective at producing lower frequencies.
Anyway I won't be loosing any sleep over it. All good fun. Regards Rob.

DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor DriveHide this!Advertise here!