Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive
DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2018, 10:45 AM   #691
alexandro is online now alexandro  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Had the same problem before. Pyramid was kind enough to assist me and to point a problematic transistor (2n7000).
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:07 AM   #692
ZUM911 is offline ZUM911  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Alexandro,

Do you remember which one? I only have 1 spare 2n7000.
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:11 AM   #693
alexandro is online now alexandro  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Have in mind that I had one segment only out of four missing. Probably It would be better to wait for Bill to advise.
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:50 PM   #694
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUM911 View Post
Hi all,

I've put together my 3 boards from AshPark and one has an issue with the LED display. Along the top of all the segments are not lighting up. I've compared the working and non-working boards and pin 15 on U3 shows no voltage on the faulty display board and on the good board I'm getting a voltage. I had a spare 74HC595 and swapped it in on the faulty board and go the same results. I suppose I could have 2 bad U3 chips but it seems unlikely.

Any suggestions? Oh, I also swapped around the uP and nothing changed.

Thanks
Rick
If a single segment is out on all 4 digits, it is not one of the 2N7000 transistors.

The top segment is "A" on the schematic which is controlled by pin 15 on U3. If there is no voltage at pin 15, check for a short to ground; if that is the case, it could be at pin 15 U3, pin 12 of the display, or R10.

Are you remotely mounting the LED using a cable? If so, please recheck the wiring on the cable.
Old 23rd August 2018, 01:44 PM   #695
ZUM911 is offline ZUM911  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Pyramid,

The LED is mounted directly to the board.

I buzzed it out and found a short to ground on the bottom layer on the via between R10 and pin 15 on U3. I scraped it clear with a knife and it's working. I assumed it was a part failure and couldn't see past that.
Old 25th August 2018, 01:03 AM   #696
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

Good work on finding the short.

OshPark makes 3 panels from the same film so it probably wasn't a defect in the lithograph (otherwise it would have shown up on all 3). More than likely a flaw in the sensitized layer on the PCB or some dust/lint when it was exposed.
Old 26th August 2018, 06:50 AM   #697
coolmaster is offline coolmaster
diyAudio Member

For the fun of it, I bought an Arduino 4 digit 7 segment display for 2 bucks.
I proceeded to mod the pcb to adapt to my choice of LED display which is a Common Cathode type. I had earlier connected it with the same ribbon cable but its not secure and can work loose anytime.
The Arduino display is Common anode type and with surface mounted bunch of resistors and transistors which need 5VDC to power up when used with Arduino. I removed everything till bare board, spent the next hour fitting new headers, the new 7 segment, and wiring up correctly to the header pins. Voila!..works perfectly. Now I don't need some custom connector or pcb for the 7 segment display.
My SG4 controller is now housed into a brand new aluminum chassis and a visit to the machine shop to router the front and back panels for the rest of the controls. Its not yet complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 segment.jpg (213.5 KB, 340 views)
Old 30th August 2018, 11:01 PM   #698
mattzan is offline mattzan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Just a update: Everything is running smooth with the BLDC motor and the SG-4. Just tested with a platter for my future DIY TD. Hopefully we'll work with zero problems after is finished.
The front painel of the enclosure is a mess. I discovered that I don't have any skills with the drill, especially to make that rectangular "hole" for the display rsrsrs.
Anyway, I wanna thank everybody, especially Pyramid, for the help.
Pics:
Dropbox - IMG_5317.jpg
Dropbox - IMG_5316.jpg
Dropbox - IMG_5315.jpg
Dropbox - IMG_5320.MOV
Old 9th September 2018, 07:20 AM   #699
acg is offline acg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Pyramid, is this board limited to any frequency? I can think of so many ways to use this board.

For instance I would like to try high frequency AC filaments for my DHT amplifiers. Lets say 100kHz AC and the hum would be way above the audible spectrum...and therefore nothing to worry about. That would be the best of both worlds with the dynamics that only AC heating can bring but none of the tricky hum management.
Old 9th September 2018, 07:37 AM   #700
coolmaster is offline coolmaster
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzan View Post
Just a update: Everything is running smooth with the BLDC motor and the SG-4
That's a pretty looking motor pod there. I was thinking of getting one for existing Hurst motor, pluck out the existing from the plinth and outboard it all on my VPI Classic 1.

DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor DriveHide this!Advertise here!