DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive

Hank, from what I saw on the video, that doesn't look like any Papst motor I have ever seen. I have no idea what it is. There isn't a lot about the various motors used. Perhaps another thread should be started to address the pros, cons, sources, availability, and implementation of various motors.

twystd

Thanks twystd, but I don't see any interest in tweaking WB 'tables on here or elsewhere. Couldn't get results from doing a 'net search for WB replacement motors.
I just found this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/184390-replacement-motors-voyd-turntable.html In it, Kal Rubinson wrote on 4 March 211: "I believe that the Papst AC motor used by Michell and Wilson Benesch is the HSZ 20.35-4. I have the data sheet if anyone needs it."
On 27 May 2014, a poster on AA wrote about his WB 'table: "...which uses a "250rpm Premotec AC-synchronous motor"

Last edited:
micros available

I now have them ready to go, work was crazy busy plus interviewing for a new gig.

One chip including shipping is $12.50 ($6.45 for flat rate shipping)

As I said before paypal is preferred bfg4wd@yahoo.com.sg is my account.

If you wish to send as a gift $12.50, or $13.00 as a normal payment to cover their fees.
Let me know if you need different payment or shipping options.
Regards,
Ted

Hi Guys,
I now have chips available for sale in the UK/Europe, I've also ordered a quantity of boards as it seems to me to be sensible to buy them as a pair, then, using the excellent info provided by Pyramid, order the components locally.
( I bought my components from Mouser(UK) and the prices were much higher than expected as they actually came from Mouser (US) with all the extra costs associated with transatlantic tariffs.

Prices:-
Chip £10 +£2.50 p&p
Board £20 +£2.50 p&p

Chip and board together £30 + £2.50 p&p.

For anyone who has already contacted me asking about supplying chips and/or boards, please send a new PM if the above meets your requirements

thanks

Ralph

None of the values are critical and neither are tempcos or Q etc. The only thing to look for is the same lead spacing. In the SG4 BOM file, I list the lead spacing or footprint for all the components. The SG4 CART file shows the mfr's part numbers which you can use to cross reference if something is unavailable.

IT'S ALIVE!!! :) :) :) :)

First one built, it powers up perfectly, as expected. Before I connect it up to one of my power amp setups with a motor I'm going to see how clean the output waveform is, and whether the required level reduction, in my case from 5V to about 0.775V could usefully include any further lp filtering.

Unfortunately I'm working all day tomorrow, so it might be Sunday before I can do the measuring, but it does look good.

I now have them ready to go, work was crazy busy plus interviewing for a new gig.

One chip including shipping is $12.50 ($6.45 for flat rate shipping)

As I said before paypal is preferred bfg4wd@yahoo.com.sg is my account.

If you wish to send as a gift $12.50, or $13.00 as a normal payment to cover their fees.
Let me know if you need different payment or shipping options.
Regards,
Ted

I am in Perth, Western Australia. Would you post me a couple? Maybe I should buy 3 and get the 3 boards and see if I can share the cost with someone over in Aus. if you are ordering boards as well I will take 2.
Thanks,
kffern

PS. Anyone in Aus willing to share shipping please contact me.

I just finished mine. Received both the parts from Mouser AND the letter from Ralph today.
Built it on the kitchen table. Powers up nicely. I don't have a scope so I can't really say if it outputs anything, but the display and switches work as described.

Thanks a lot! Both to Ralph in the UK and Pyramid and others involved in the project on the other side of the pond.

As mentioned earlier I ordered some other capacitors. I had to bend the legs a little, but it worked out OK, as you can see.
409476d1478728197-anders-bygger-liten-jlh-forsterker-og-kanskje-litt-mer-etter-hvert-diyaudio.jpg

I have a question about the power amplifier side of this project. I have ordered a Chinese class D 100W amp that I plan to power using a cheap Chinese 24V switch mode power supply. Do you think there will be any problems using a switch mode supply in this application? I know linear supplies are preferred in audio applications, but this is only driving a motor... Any thoughts?

Anders

Built it on the kitchen table. Powers up nicely. I don't have a scope so I can't really say if it outputs anything, but the display and switches work as described.

I have a question about the power amplifier side of this project. I have ordered a Chinese class D 100W amp that I plan to power using a cheap Chinese 24V switch mode power supply. Do you think there will be any problems using a switch mode supply in this application? I know linear supplies are preferred in audio applications, but this is only driving a motor... Any thoughts?

Anders
I would be more worried how the harmonic distortion from a cheap Class D switcher could possibly affect the smoothness of the motor than the SMPS feeding it.
But it just concerns signals below 100Hz, with power consumption far below 100W, so what the heck.

Hans

v1.02 Firmware

I've made some changes to the firmware for the SG4. The new version will implement a 7 bit linear taper attenuator in software so the output of all 4 phases can be controlled from 0-5VPP in 128 steps. I think a lot of the problems you guys are having with the amps is related to the surge at first output when the sinewave goes from zero to maximum instantaneously; this is especially true with class D amps. With the attenuator, I can ramp the voltage of the sinewaves from zero to max over ~650 mS which should give the amps time to stabilize and deal with the core magnetization in the transformers. I also added a reduced output level after 5 seconds to reduce motor vibration once the platter is moving. There is a voltage calibration mode (similar to phase calibration mode) to set the reduced voltage; range is 128 (max output) to 64 (half voltage). As it works out here in the states, that equates to roughly 1 volt/step (assuming 120VAC output at max); for overseas builders, it will be close to 2V/step.

The other change was to reduce the phase step to 0.5 deg. The current scheme uses an 8 bit phase register so the resolution is 1.40625 deg/step (360/256). By going to 16 bit phase regs, the resolution is 0.005493 deg/step; if I move 91 steps per adjustment, it comes out very close to 0.5 deg (0.499878°).

Anyone upgrading to the new firmware should perform a factory default reset, as the phase values in your current EEPROM will not be correct. The new operating instructions are included in the revised assembly instructions available in the OP of this thread.

Attachments

• DSCN1271.jpg
    DSCN1271.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 1,908
Thanks again Pyramid, so generous of your time, effort, and expertise, those are very useful features. Not knowing anything about digital, I'm wondering if there is any way to upgrade to the new firmware for the SG4, for those of us who already have the UPs? I assume that firmware is programmed into the UP by bfg4wd for us in the US. If necessary it would be no big deal to buy another UP from bfg4wd.

twystd

The µPs are reprogrammable, but it has to be done here by me. In the US this will be easier as shipping costs are not much of an obstacle.

Check with Ted (bfg4wd), but he should be able to work out an exchange program for the micros (at some cost) and recycle the old ones through me.

There are no hardware changes. You will need to perform a Factory Default Reset though when the new chip is installed.

Also, you should use a PLCC extractor (see attached) to remove the chip. Two very small screw drivers used simultaneously to pry the chip can work, but you risk damaging the leads if not done right.

Attachments

• PLCC Extractor.jpeg
    PLCC Extractor.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,878
"Luckily", though I have orders for almost all of my first batch of 10, a delay in the arrival of boards means that only two people have received the first chips.
I am in the process of ordering further chips from Bill, and I'm sending back for reprogramming all my remaining chips.
This will mean a delay in my sending out the chips/boards I have promised, but I hope those waiting will understand.

regards

Ralph

The µPs are reprogrammable, but it has to be done here by me. In the US this will be easier as shipping costs are not much of an obstacle.

Did you consider publishing the program as a hex file (or similar format)? As I am a software developer myself, I think I can get access to suitable equipment for reprogramming.

Sent fra min E5603 via Tapatalk

Did you consider publishing the program as a hex file (or similar format)? As I am a software developer myself, I think I can get access to suitable equipment for reprogramming.

I've decided not to release the IP to the public as the project has evolved from a rather simple sinewave generator into something fast approaching a commercial design, which could be exploited if in the public domain.

I've already worked out an exchange with Ralphfcooke for the new firmware in the EU. I don't anticipate any further changes, but if they do occur, this arrangement seems workable.