JVC KD-65 dead channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I have a JVC KD-65 with a dead channel.
I have tried several good cassettes.
The left channel is silent and the meter does not move. No sound when using headphones either.
I took off the lid and touched the wire connections from the play head and the left meter jumped to the top. Right (ok channel) not so high.
Can it be magnetized?
Is it possible that the head is defective? Have checked solder points.
I did not check resistance as I read somewhere that it will magnetize the head.
True?

If edfective; where can i find a new head? Maybe someone here have one for sale?

Its a great looker in mint condition. Not even a single dustbunny!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, it's not magnetized, it's broken. I bought a KD-75 in 1977 so your deck is approaching 40yrs of age. Likely there are lots and lots of bad electrolytics, and possibly a dirty switch or two.

My ex wife took my KD-75 as part of the divorce settlement back in 2001 - that deck was still working well at that point. No idea at this point what happened to that machine. I had ReVox machines at the time so it wasn't a big concern. (Don't worry I remarried 10 years ago, and she is a keeper.. :) )

Good sounding machines (65/75/85) when working properly.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's possible the coil inside the head has gone open. I would verify with a multimeter before making that conclusion, but I have encountered shorted and open head windings on R2R decks I owned in the past so it's possible.

Make sure the recording electronics are not the culprit, check for DC on the head in record mode.

JRF Magnetics might be able to source a replacement head for this deck: Head relapping

More than likely a replacement head from JRF is going to cost more than the deck is worth. Might just be better to look for a parts deck with good head.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.