Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Linn Lingo schematic
Linn Lingo schematic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Steveric is offline Steveric  France
diyAudio Member

Default Linn Lingo schematic

Hi Folks,
I looking for the Linn Lingo schematic, does anyone could provide one, mine it's an early 1995 model.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Old 29th September 2016, 07:13 PM   #2
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Have a look here :-

Linn

Good Luck
Old 29th September 2016, 08:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot ralphfcooke, you make my day.
Old 7th March 2017, 03:57 PM   #4
tiefbassuebertr is offline tiefbassuebertr  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveric View Post
Hi Folks,
I looking for the Linn Lingo schematic, does anyone could provide one, mine it's an early 1995 model.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
There are three versions. Who can upload the schematics from all ?
Old 7th March 2017, 09:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello, sorry I don't really understand what you point out, would be kind enough to clarify.
Old 8th March 2017, 08:24 AM   #6
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

After many tests I found the standard Valhalla could be improved very cheaply if that is easier. Change the 47uF 250V capacitors for 220uF 250V, this is the optimum value and should be safe for the rectifier. Then float the Valhalla on an isolation transformer of either 115 or 230 V with Valhalla set to the choice ( worth about 6 dB extra , circa - 60 dB hum ). After that the Valhalla within the scope of the Airpax motor ( older name ) the job is done. The Lingo has a voltage ramp fom circa 90V rms down to circa 66V rms. Personally I don't like 66V. The Valhalla has hum at about - 40 dB standard. This is hidden when 50Hz ( not to the ears ), not so at 60Hz or 67.5Hz when 45 RPM. As far as I can see this is due to the oscillator being fed from the same single rail. The motor itself draws power at about 10 % THD if measured as a current waveform. This is hidden when the voltage waveform due to low output impedance of the Valhalla. The vibration of the motor is mostly voltage and phase related. The THD of Vallhalla is about 0.05% with no obvious defect. The Valhalla can be voltage set, the pot is sealed with paint for transit. A NE555 timer plus relay and resistor would do a Lingo voltage ramp.

I did think of recording the Airpax current waveform and producing it's negative image. As this is a repetative waveform it could be a reliable form of predistortion. Negative feedback looks like this inside the feedback loop. I suspect it would have been a small improvement not unlike finding an ideal voltage. It is just possible one could have more torque this way. This would be Lingo or Valhalla.
Old 9th March 2017, 10:40 AM   #7
burbeck is offline burbeck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi steveric
be very careful with this circuit for the lingo, at least 4 resistors are incorrect vale on the drawing. r94, r92, r87, r88, shown as value 43 ohms, this i think should be 43k ohms.please be carefull.
Old 13th October 2017, 09:29 PM   #8
diyee is offline diyee  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi,

My Lingo 1 was unable to switch over to 45 rpm several years ago. It was discovered by accident that by momentarily shorting pin 10 or 12 to pin 11 of U8, it would go 45 rpm. So, it was a flip-flop issue with U8, and the rest of the circuit downstream should be fine. However, this problem persisted after changing the U8 flip-flop IC.
This fault remained for several years.........until yesterday, I finally found a copy of the Lingo schematic from the internet, but not sure which Lingo model it's meant for. Nevertheless, this would be definitely a great help in troubleshooting, I think. After tracing the circuit board with reference to the schematic diagram in page 1, I realized that the U7a and U8a were printed wrongly, should be the other way round instead. Furthermore, the pin 5 of the U7a (corrected) should go to pin 11 of U7b and same for U8 (witnessed the copper track after U8 was dug out for replacement). The capacitor C33 (22uF polarized) should be labelled C9 instead. Since the trigger signal to pin 11 of U8b was absent, and no output from pin 5 of U8a, C9 was suspected to have caused my Lingo unable to switch to 45 rpm. 45 rpm works fine after replacing C9.
To summarize, my lesson learnt from here is to perform a quick check by jumping a 5v to pin 11 of U8b to see whether 45 rpm mode works. Capacitors are the most suspected culprits in old equipment. Thanks

Best regards,

Fong
Old 26th January 2019, 05:16 AM   #9
cakyol is offline cakyol  United States
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know the MAX power consumption of the Linn Valhalla so I can pick an appropriate sized isolation transformer ?

Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 08:26 AM   #10
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The power use is about 10 VA. A 50 VA transformer seems about right. It looks that the 230 V input is slightly the better one as 115 V looks to be a voltage doubler of sorts to get the 300 VDC.

There are 3 x 47 uF. 2 are in series to offer 23.5 uF at 300 VDC ( not much ). Various 200 and 250 VDC ones have been used. The last one in the chain is ( C18 ? ) is the output capacitor and motor protection. To be sure it's -ve terminal is to motor red. Strictly speaking it should be 47 uF ( or less ). If for simplicity all 47 uF are changed to 220 uF 250V no harm done. As far as I know the LP12 asks about 1 watt and the low voltage side 10 watts ( 9 watts in dropper resistors ). The hum mostly comes from the two circuits being vastly different. Adding a low voltage DC supply seemed no better. It's the single rail DC that causes it.

Changing the 47uF as is often required due to aging. This drops hum of the raw DC from - 44 dB typical to about -54 dB and that's if the 47 uF are perfect. No further change with larger types.

Floating the Valhalla gives about 6 dB more. This advatage is lost if centre or one side is connected to ground ( dangerous if not certain, centre being 115-0- 115 with 0 to ground, not a workable idea although one often put forward ). As the Linn is connected to ground that's fine. The transformer box can be to ground and shielded power cable up to the Valhalla in. No final ground connection. Natually you must be the judge of if you understand this.

A type of transformer that might be ideal and what I used is a type for a ECL82 valve ( 230 VAC 20 VA, not using the heater gives extra VA ). If giving more than 250VAC add a resistance in series to get 230V. The 6.3 V heater supply can be a buck winding ( or boost ). Read up buck/boost.

The image is the hum at 50 Hz ( about 1/180 ). The other peak is circa 67.5 Hz from a different crystal than the 3.2768 MHz of Valhalla. Not an easy conversion as the gain of the LM324 needs increasing about 3 fold. Whilst I think it unwise to try this the capacitor on blue phase 0.11uF will be about right ( add another 0.22 uF in series ). 67.5 Hz should be at 100 VAC at 50 Hz about 85 VAC. If doing a simple upgrade use as supplied. 90 VAC original, later 80 VAC.

The Valhalla power amp is remarkably good at circa 0.05% THD. Notice some harmonics at - 60 dB higher up. These should improve. The motor filters these reasonable well so might not matter. Linn didn't know the hum existed until Lingo was researched. It needs a different frequency to see it. Linn felt real 50 Hz and mains 50 Hz beat to cause wow. USA users might escape the wow.

Click the image to open in full size.

Linn Lingo schematicHide this!Advertise here!