Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Linn Lingo schematic
Linn Lingo schematic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2019, 08:11 PM   #31
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakyol View Post
........ Since it is of lower voltage, it is bound to be a bit less noisy.

Sorry, but that's not the way it works. A lower voltage motor of the same 'wattage' will require more current, after all Power = Voltage x Current.
If the motor is the same basic design then I would expect a similar, if not identical, level of vibration.
Old 7th February 2019, 08:15 PM   #32
cakyol is offline cakyol  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response Ralph. The hurst motor is a 3 watt motor at 24 Volts (300 rpm at 60 Hz and 250 at 50). So powerwise, it is very similatr to Premotec but its torque curve is much better...

Besides all that, the issue is, can the Valhalla output be trimmed down (using its pot) to generate about 20 Volts (at approx 120 milliamps) ?
Old 7th February 2019, 08:18 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I was also looking at the Rega Neo power supply. It generates 24 volts. But in its specs, I cannot find what FREQUENCY it outputs at 33 and/or 45 rpm.

My pulley is an Ariston RD11 60 Hz pulley and I cannot find any 50 Hz pulleys anywhere for it. So, I MUST have 60 Hz from any PS I intend to but.

My current Valhalla DOES generate 60 Hz .
Old 8th February 2019, 12:38 AM   #34
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

In the same series (Watt rating), 120V and 24V motors will be the *same* torque. They are the same frame with essentially the same amount of copper, just wire length and area adjusted 5:1 for the different V/I.

However, this is your DIY. A 120V:24V say 10VA transformer is very cheap and will convert the V and I correctly.
Old 11th February 2019, 03:40 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

A question also about Hercules 2 board....
Has anyone used this board and experienced the same heat issues (the two 15k resistors overheating) that Valhalla has suffered from ? I cannot find a hercules schematic anywhere but it "seems" like it is a very similar design at the hi voltage stage. So I am presuming it may suffer the same heat issues.

Anyone has experienced this or any other shortcomings like on the Valhalla board (like the undervoltage specification of the 47uF capacitors and inadequate bridge rectifier) ?

Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 09:37 AM   #36
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As far as I know ( 300+ Valhalla's at a guess ) The capacitors gave no problems. When V max at circa 320VDC this is 160VDC per capacitor. Both the 200V and 250V types are fine ( 400 and 500 VDC ). Some caps after many years dry up. They vastly out do their stated lives, the Valhalla is on all the time.

The resistors seem to unsolder themselves more than fail. The rectifiers generally were fine. When the thermistor was fitted to R1 position that seemed a total cure. Often R1 failed rather than the rectifier. Modern 1.5 amps types should be fine ideally 800/1000PIV.

I have seen the Hercules. It looks well made and not overpriced. It looks so like a Valhalla as to make me think it's by the same hand or someone who respects the original. One thing I detect is that as far as I see there is no separate phase shift capacitor for 45 RPM at 67.5 Hz on Hercules. I found 220nF 33.33 and 110nF 45 worked. That's adding a 220nF for 45 that gets shorted for 33.33. I dare say we can say the 90 Vrms ( 85 never ) is subtracted from the V peak. If so it's not so bad. I think that must be why they didn't over spec C19. Usually when a domestic amplifier we make the capacitor rail voltage + 20 % if possible.

I notice this guy in the link has what might be called an LP12 mk2. That is the ones that were not shared platform with the Ariston RD11( or whatever the number ). The spot welded chassis is the thing. Linn replaced this with powder coat and aircraft epoxy. Even so the chassis were not very flat. If you happen to be good at panel beating it's worth getting early chassis flat. Use glass as a reference. The early LP12's have a very musical sound. I notice also he has the hardboard and ply armboard. A tiny amount of super glue can be used to make the fixing holes stronger. It's unusual to see one as they are not very strong and people overtighten them. BTW. The arm wire position for the LP12 arms in link below is correct. The Linn arms make this aspect easy to tune. Often the cable helps the bounce. A bit like the various bits of metal on car suspensions.

Breathing New Life into an Old Linn LP12 ? The Hercules II and Mose+ Hercules Power Supplies

One slight correction. V peak at C18 Valhalla is about 223V ( Red phase ). That asks a bit too much of the 200V types. As the wave is repetetive and low frequency it is better than it might be. If a power amplifier we would have to have a 350VDC type. As it is an unchanging situation one can say the potential to go higher is never a reality. I don't think I have ever seen C18 fail.

Last edited by nigel pearson; 11th February 2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 04:44 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Also, I wish I had found this site earlier, before I started any of this:

Frequency Converters Archives - KCC Scientific

Linn Lingo schematicHide this!Advertise here!