Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

buying budget tt
buying budget tt
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2016, 01:45 PM   #1
msj965 is offline msj965  United States
diyAudio Member

Default buying budget tt

Hello all
This is my first time to buy a turntable. I'm on a budget now so I'm trying to pick one on this three. REGA rp1 , Music Hall 2.2, and the Project carbon debut.

Thanks,
ANn
Old 3rd March 2016, 05:06 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

buying budget tt
Take a look at the Uturn Orbit as well..

Turntables ? U-Turn Audio

They're made right in the Boston area and offer a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:24 PM   #3
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Turntables

ANn, do you insist on new budget? You can get some Technics from fleabay, they last forever.
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Turntables - Turntable ? Phonograph - Vintage Phonographs

new turntables, even they are called budget, seems like a lot of money...
some vintage technics, is in good shape, with good cart will sound as good as new

Last edited by adason; 3rd March 2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 17th March 2016, 12:26 AM   #5
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

buying budget tt
I posted a similar question to this about a year ago on a number of forums. I identified the same set of "entry level" turn tables that you did. The consensus was to spend the same money on a Technics SL-1200 from ebay. There are, of course, other used tables that are quite nice. The idea is that dollar for dollar, you are unlikely to find a better engineered table than an older one that was well-built.
Old 17th March 2016, 02:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Great advice Eric...
Old 17th March 2016, 03:58 AM   #7
Hikari1 is online now Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know about that...where I am, in the isolated northwest, nice 1200s are $400, thorens td-160s are $500ish and duals are $200ish. I might prefer an rp1 to any of them, although the 1200 might be interesting.

The DJ market is pushing 1200 prices up and the vinyl resurgence has led at any table that works costing at least $150. I bought a rega p5 used a couple years ago for $500. It seems like the vintage stuff might actually be overpriced, once you get past the starter decks.

Personally, I'd look for a rega p3 or p25 or a music hall 5 series used. You should be able to get one for $400-500. Or a vpi hw19 Jr.
Old 17th March 2016, 05:34 AM   #8
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default well look here...

here's an ebay listing for a SL-1300, "buy now" for USD$170. Apparently so similar to the '1200 as to be near performance twins (the '1300 is auto lift , so semi-automatic...).

The first turntable I bought was a (us) Akai AP306 with a Goldring G820 cartridge... there is something that I still miss about that old table. All the japanese makers had good direct drivers, whether Kenwood/Trio, Matsushita (Technics/Panasonic),Victor Company of Japan (JVC), Micro Seiki, Pioneer, Sansui, Denon, Yamaha et al.

The thing about most of these is that their drive systems are very robust. If a manual DD, most any arm can be fitted as well, allowing for a very interesting and potentially great sounding turntable for what amounts to not much money. For USD $170 + shipping, the '1300 looks like a good alternative. But like I said, any of the big Japanese makers had good DD tables, if that's what you're after. Denons are apparently still being produced. If looking at new, Apparently the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB available for under USD$250 is something of a marvel allowing USB connection and passive./active analog out (that can use an existing preamp or an internal one) , and it is very well reviewed. Is it as good as the old Matsushita products? I don't know...check for online reviews on that one, which is among the best of its type.

Now if wanting a great table for not much money, any mid-level or higher japans table from the golden 70's or any good British deck (LP112, Dunlap, Systemdek, Ariston, etc.) can be very good buys as well. Even the old AR (original) turntables can be an incredible buy, allowing for future upgrades and (Merrill) mods making it into an "almost" super deck.

Regarding the stupidly high price of some of the Dual (which I think are way under-rated) , Thorens (way over-rated 14X-16X models), and the SL-12200, look for similar products, that are not as coveted. I once bought a Heybrook TT1 (very similar to the Dunlap/Systemdek/Audio Note/Ariston/LP12 ) for under USD$250 + shipping. I thought it's Alphason titanium arm (and still do believe) outperformed my SME 309....

If a Dual is a must I have a good 510. PM me if that's something you'd be interested in. And no, it would be more reasonable than any of the prices you've suggested.

Last edited by Nanook; 17th March 2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 18th March 2016, 07:30 PM   #9
mor2bz is offline mor2bz  United States
diyAudio Member

I always avoided the Technics tables cause they looked cheap.
what a mistake.
Old 18th March 2016, 07:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

does this look cheap to you?
Technics SL-M3 Turntable Opportunity

buying budget ttHide this!Advertise here!