Upgrades to a Rega P3/24 - does phono stage match-up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over a few years I've heavily modified a Rega deck. It's the way I got back into DIY actually. I started out with a refurbished P3/24 deck, and then added a few simple add-ons to it. This was so effective that I went further and further. Now I'm not sure if my phono-stage may need improvement.

This is where I've got it to:

Deck (was P3/24):
  • TT PSU
  • Replacement plinth made from laminations of 15mm Birch ply to 45mm, veneered in walnut. Motor is mounted on 4mm aluminium chassis. Better feet currently being turned on the lathe with sorbothene bases.
  • Subplinth of two laminations of 15mm ply, veneered as above, with P9 feet.
  • ISOKinetik red belt, platter and sub-platter

Arm (was originally RB301):
  • Paint removed and sanded to a 1000 grit fine finish, cartridge mounting area carefully sanded very flat.
  • Arm drilled in a two-line pattern to reduce resonance.
  • Spring based weight adjustment totally removed and ISO-weight fitted.
  • Cardas to KLE plugs rewire
  • Stuffed with a little foam near to the head shell (actually hearing protection foam seemed to work well)
  • Benz Micro Ace High output cartridge.

Image of deck:
orbit-complete.jpg

I can post a link to the detailed build on my blog if there is interest.

My question is (and I know it's a bit subjective): I'm currently using a Project tubebox IIse phono stage on this set up. It was bought a long time ago before I got back into DIY. One of the things I've noticed is that high output MC's have a much lower impedance than MM's, with Benz recommending 1000 ohm termination, this is not possible with my stage.

Is this phono pre-amp in the right ball-park for the above set-up? Or am I better building one of the many kits available?

its all about defining what sound you like and what you think is missing. hifi is very much myfi and if you like the sound of your system then that is all that matters. now having said that there is always a curiosity factor of 'what if', its learning to appreciate what you have. if the sound you have does not let you relax and forget about the system when he lights are out and you are sitting in your 'sweet spot' then yes try something else.

all you can do it 'try' something else and see if its more your taste in sound reproduction. if you want to go the diy route for a new phonostage then i would give RJM's phonoclone a googgle as its well received and customisable for different cartridges, hypnotoad's threads are good to read. once you have had a good read and think it might just be the ticket then contact RJM on here and discuss if it would be suable for your particular cartridge.

there are lots and lots of other options available on this site as well.

personally (my tastes, my ears) i have never liked the sound of valve phonostages.

Many Thanks for the help. I think I may do some background reading on those phonostage kits. I'm planning to build some honey badger or n-core amps later this year anyway and would need to build a preamp (so I can recover my office amp from the AV system). I'd probably integrate the phonostage into the preamp.

In your case I would go with a solid state phono preamp; less harmonic distortion, higher s/n ratio. You'll get an accurate representation of the music. Not much issues in building one since you already have a high-output MC stage. Just build a run-of-the-mill MM DIY stage to your liking; and load it correctly for that MC ;) Oh yeah, don't stare blindly at 100% RIAA curve accuracy. Instead, match your components so both your channels are equal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.