Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
--Do not worry Grasshopper, the elders have a plan. The song writers and composers will be instructed to put the crescendo of the finale in the middle, and the quiet bit of the beginning at the end. The black disc will prevail.

This is actually one of the reasons I prefer listening to recorded music in the format it was originally released in. I’ll also go out of my way to watch a silent film I’ve seen before if it’s being shown in a theater with a live score. For modern music that has been recorded and sequenced without regard for a particular playback medium, I have no preference for analog over digital.

I had a tour of the national center in Ottawa recording center a few years ago. They had if I remember after all those years both digital and multitrack tape recorders to later mix it or store for archival. All major performances are recorded.

I was told the microphones are worth around 100K each which I presume was an exaggeration.

Very big machines, lots of controls and tapes, at the time I was not interested much in audio.

On two live recordings of concerts to publish CDs (Archiv production, the other was Opus111 I think) a relative was coughing loudly during all concerts near the front row of seats. They could never release the concert CDs, it was impossible to keep the quality of the sound and remove the noises. Different standards.

The highest price for a quality mic couldn't have been more than $3K back then. One of the most expensive was the Calrec Soundfield developed from the work of Michael Gerzon and Peter Craven. The four capsules alignment permitted stereo phase to be maintained to 10KHz. I saw an experimental room with 12 speakers designed to create 3D sound from the mic. Four channels are required for recording. The sound focus can be steered afterwards. I had a chance to play with the control unit and the effect was like moving a cardiod mic around the recording space. The patent has since expired so there are other manufacturers now.

Live recording generally needs close mic-ing. Otherwise it is pot luck and the sound of the venue needs to be minimized. A lot of live recordings are simply terrible.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Live recording generally needs close mic-ing. Otherwise it is pot luck and the sound of the venue needs to be minimized. A lot of live recordings are simply terrible.

The whole point of a live recording is you want it to sound like you are in the venue. I don't want my orchestra to be recreated in post production a la DG. A lot of live recordings ARE terrible. Those are the ones recorded with dozens of close mics.

All this is silly now
The latest adda is superb. What is needed is a large magazine type publication per and regarding the recording taking the place of the "album jacket" packaged along with a thumbdrive in hi res. This won't happen because it will soon be illegal to have hard copies IMO
Hope not. And there BTW, is the *REAL* actual value of existing Vinyl, CDs, tape etc. You can touch it!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Quadrophonic existed for a very short period of time in the 70s. That is known to anyone who was either there or has the power of google. However to stretch that to 'live orchestral recordings are recorded in quadraphonic' is extreme.

Just to repeat. Using 4 microphones does not make something quadrophonic. It just means there were 4 tracks recorded to mix to two for release.

I know, the point is not the records, it is that in live recordings they use many microphones.

In the art center in Ottawa, they use 4 microphones for 'ambiance' from the ceiling, there are 2 others when they record applauses. and if there is a piano they use 2 more near it, or sometimes 2 near the conductor, everything is recorded for archival. At least 4 tracks are keep. That was only my point, 4 tracks. I thought they could remove someone coughing but they cannot. I heard a few live recordings and you can hear people coughing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.