Help me build a DIY Plinth turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been building speakers for years but would like to try my hand at a custom TT however I have no idea where to start or what parts I'd need. Not finding much help with regards to kits available like in the amp or speakers areas.
I'm not trying to build a world beater here, I'd like to keep it below (don't laugh!) $300 if possible. I'm open to plinth ideas such as acrylic or wood ( I've seen some beautiful wood jobs). I'm also open to buying a used table for the parts if there is one that is recommended for that purpose. I currently spin a Pioneer PL-61 and thought a custom build might have a bit more s.e.x. appeal in my 2 channel room:)

David

At that price point you would be better off with a Technics 1200 turntable or a Denon. You could also check ebay for turntable parts (platters,motors etc.) if you want to try your hand at making a belt turntable. Sometimes you can find an Oracle table that needs some tlc around your price range which is a very nice turntable. Good luck

No need to spend big bucks on the bearing, you can use a vcr head for that. They work quite well for that purpose. As for the platter, you can make it from mdf if you like or plywood. Just don't get it wet and it will be fine.

Build the plinth out of plywood and use a separate housing for your motor with fishing line as the belt. You will be good to go.

As far as the arm is concerned, leave enough room on the right hand side of the plinth so that you can mount anywhere from a 9" - 12" arm (or build your own arm if you like).

A friend of mine built a table like this and it sounds really good.

No need to spend big bucks on the bearing, you can use a vcr head for that. They work quite well for that purpose. As for the platter, you can make it from mdf if you like or plywood. Just don't get it wet and it will be fine.

Build the plinth out of plywood and use a separate housing for your motor with fishing line as the belt. You will be good to go.

As far as the arm is concerned, leave enough room on the right hand side of the plinth so that you can mount anywhere from a 9" - 12" arm (or build your own arm if you like).

A friend of mine built a table like this and it sounds really good.

That sounds like DIY on a budget alright! VCR head? Really? Lot's of those at the thrift store.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.