Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

RIAA Response question
RIAA Response question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2018, 03:14 AM   #41
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

And for reference: the parameters for Koren's ELAPLACE (PSpice) network, hard to copy from his figures, are:
ELAPLACE
EXPR = V(%IN+, %IN-)
XFORM = 0.001*(1+T3*s)*(1+T1*s)/(1+T2*s)
T1 = {3180e-6}
T2 = {318e-6}
T3 = {75e-6}
Old 12th August 2018, 09:32 AM   #42
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Yes, that should be a user selected option. I did both versions for each sampling frequency.
Hi Scott, I've just found this old comment of yours. Great idea (to be able to switch on or off, Allen Wright's 50kHz boost) ... but do you have to be careful how you arrange the wires from the switch to the RIAA network? If you simply twist together the wires - is that OK?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 12th August 2018, 11:19 AM   #43
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Has anybody ever tested the RIAA accuracy of common record lathes? I would not be shocked to see fairly gross errors.
Old 13th August 2018, 01:59 AM   #44
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Has anybody ever tested the RIAA accuracy of common record lathes? I would not be shocked to see fairly gross errors.
I would be shocked if a stock Neumann or Scully had anywhere near 1dB error 50Hz-15KHz.

Most high-class cutting facilities are further tweaked so the total response (not just the lathe) is as the engineer wishes.

There are "simple precise" ways to calibrate a cut independent of the pickup's foibles. One elegant way is to cut a series of high tones, and then shine a light at an angle. Typically this gives a "wedge" reflection, and the straightness of the reflection edges IS the cutter's response at the groove.
Old 14th August 2018, 01:46 AM   #45
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Some numbers from someone who repairs cutters:
Some Neumann Cutter head spec....
Old 14th August 2018, 01:55 AM   #46
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Hi Scott, I've just found this old comment of yours. Great idea (to be able to switch on or off, Allen Wright's 50kHz boost) ... but do you have to be careful how you arrange the wires from the switch to the RIAA network? If you simply twist together the wires - is that OK?
My comment was for doing it digitally with an FIR or IIR filter. Any shorting of the wires should be OK, BTW the effect of this extra time constant is very small in any case.
Old 29th August 2018, 07:18 PM   #47
Gold is offline Gold  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My comment was for doing it digitally with an FIR or IIR filter. Any shorting of the wires should be OK, BTW the effect of this extra time constant is very small in any case.
I don't think FIR would be a good choice. On RIAA decode you are adding a lot of low end. I would expect the pre ringing to be audible.
Old 29th August 2018, 07:23 PM   #48
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

RIAA Response question
No need to keep reposting

As a new poster all your posts are moderated which means they have to be read and approved.
Old 29th August 2018, 07:43 PM   #49
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold View Post
I don't think FIR would be a good choice. On RIAA decode you are adding a lot of low end. I would expect the pre ringing to be audible.
You can create a minimum phase FIR RIAA that has virtually no pre-ringing. In any case the pre-ringing is not at a low frequency. BTW Audacity has only a linear phase FIR which has substantial deviation from ideal and no one seems to notice.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 29th August 2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 29th August 2018, 07:49 PM   #50
Gold is offline Gold  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can create a minimum phase FIR RIAA that has virtually no pre-ringing. In any case the pre-ringing is not at a low frequency. BTW Audacity has only a linear phase FIR which has substantial deviation from ideal and no one seems to notice.

All the FIR filters i have run into are linear phase. I thought linear phase was inherent to FIR as minimum phase was inherent to IIR.

RIAA Response questionHide this!Advertise here!