Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

storing your Vinyl LPs
storing your Vinyl LPs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2015, 06:53 PM   #1
lecentaur is offline lecentaur  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default storing your Vinyl LPs

Slightly off "source" topic but I guess concerns everyone.

What discrete solutions have you found to store your Vinyl LPs.

Took me 5 years of negociations to get my Infinity 9A into the living room, now that my new / old LP collection is getting larger than a cardboard box, I need to find a discrete but effective storage.

Looking for creative ideas

Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 09:28 PM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

storing your Vinyl LPs
you cannot be discrete. ikea kallax is about the best there is.
Old 20th July 2015, 09:43 PM   #3
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
ikea kallax is about the best there is.
Ikea stuff has always seemed flimsy, are you sure these would hold the weight of hundreds of LPs?
I would find and refinish an old time console, they had beautiful woodwork.
My parents had one that was solid walnut, about 6 feet long.
Old 20th July 2015, 10:00 PM   #4
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

The Kallax shelf is listed to hold 13 kg pr shelf.... says chipboard internal dividers.
should be fixed to the wall for stability, and most certainly with heavy loads....
Old 20th July 2015, 10:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

storing your Vinyl LPs
http://www.dj-rooms.com/wp-content/u...ve-600x513.jpg seems to hold up. If you assemble it upside down then bad things happen. but otherwise 13kg (28lbs for the colonies) per shelf

I have used Ikea plain shelves (Ivar)for my records for over a decade now with no issues and also have a billy bookcase holding overspill. Would love solid wood but want more records
Old 20th July 2015, 10:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have used Ikea plain shelves (Ivar)for my records for over a decade now with no issues and also have a
billy bookcase holding overspill. Would love solid wood but want more records
Consoles like these are often cheap locally and would be great for a small collection.
New & Vintage: Records, Record Players, Stereos, Audio

I've got over 15,000 LPs and have to be more practical, something more like these.
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...Fo73yQTD3q6ABw
Old 20th July 2015, 10:33 PM   #7
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Some years ago, we had some plastic milk carton crates here in Norway, that was perfect for LPs - except being light blue in colour, and the name of the dairy stamped on the sides...
Old wooden beer and soda crates were also good - had a certain flair to them... modern plastic crates are useless for music..... the crates, I mean...

Last edited by AuroraB; 20th July 2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 20th July 2015, 10:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

storing your Vinyl LPs
[QUOTE=rayma;4396495]Consoles like these are often cheap locally and would be great for a small collection.
New & Vintage: Records, Record Players, Stereos, Audio
[\Quote] Yup use one as a sideboard

Quote:
I've got over 15,000 LPs and have to be more practical, something more like these.
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...Fo73yQTD3q6ABw
You are not only a lucky batsrad but have an all together bigger problem with floorloading! The solid wood Ivar shelves I have can handle about 900 records each. But the OP is upgrading from a cardboard box!
Old 20th July 2015, 10:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are not only a lucky batsrad but have an all together bigger problem with floorloading!
The solid wood Ivar shelves I have can handle about 900 records each. But the OP is upgrading from a cardboard box!
They're on a concrete floor. I'm no fool.
Old 21st July 2015, 03:42 AM   #10
indianajo is online now indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

I found this product shelf at the flea market for $25. It was 21" deep by 24" wide by 76" tall. It was made of 7/8" particle board. There is a solid divider in the middle, leaving a front and back filled with 5 shelves 15" apart. There were holes drilled 1" apart up the sides of the two bins. The shelf supports were **** plastic that wouldn't support the weight of records, so I stuck 1/4-20x1" bolts through holes in 3/4 angle pieces, welded each in, cut the bolts off 1/2" deep after the threads. The steel brackets were 3/4" wide. Those would hold the shelves up. I have five tiers of LP's 24" wide up both sides. I painted the unit black to remind me of the obelisk in the movie 2001 a Space Odessey .
I hung white LED christmas lights on a hanger in the wall facing the back in the dark corner, powered by the same power strip that turns on my disco mixer and power amp.
I tried to hook the shelf to the wall with the 1/4 holes, so it won't fall over in an earthquake, but the bracket keeps working loose. Maybe I'll suffer the same fate as Alkan the composer, who died when a bookshelf fell on him.
I wish I could buy another monolith, LP's have been $.25 to $.50 for a couple of years so I have another couple of hundred. But this was a one off flea market find. However, with LPs in the news again and back in production, Goodwill is charging $1 to $2 again for LP's, even for vile easy listening or show tunes. So I've sworn off buying them lately.

Last edited by indianajo; 21st July 2015 at 03:46 AM.

storing your Vinyl LPsHide this!Advertise here!