storing your Vinyl LPs

Slightly off "source" topic but I guess concerns everyone.

What discrete solutions have you found to store your Vinyl LPs.

Took me 5 years of negociations to get my Infinity 9A into the living room, now that my new / old LP collection is getting larger than a cardboard box, I need to find a discrete but effective storage.

Looking for creative ideas :bulb:

Thanks

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Joined 2011
I have used Ikea plain shelves (Ivar)for my records for over a decade now with no issues and also have a
billy bookcase holding overspill. Would love solid wood but want more records :)

Consoles like these are often cheap locally and would be great for a small collection.
New & Vintage: Records, Record Players, Stereos, Audio

I've got over 15,000 LPs and have to be more practical, something more like these.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...4OrGAhWOe5IKHUOvC3A&ei=4XWtVaf2Fo73yQTD3q6ABw

Some years ago, we had some plastic milk carton crates here in Norway, that was perfect for LPs - except being light blue in colour, and the name of the dairy stamped on the sides... :)
Old wooden beer and soda crates were also good - had a certain flair to them... modern plastic crates are useless for music..... the crates, I mean...

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Consoles like these are often cheap locally and would be great for a small collection.
New & Vintage: Records, Record Players, Stereos, Audio
[\Quote] Yup use one as a sideboard

I've got over 15,000 LPs and have to be more practical, something more like these.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...4OrGAhWOe5IKHUOvC3A&ei=4XWtVaf2Fo73yQTD3q6ABw

You are not only a lucky batsrad but have an all together bigger problem with floorloading! The solid wood Ivar shelves I have can handle about 900 records each. But the OP is upgrading from a cardboard box!

I found this product shelf at the flea market for $25. It was 21" deep by 24" wide by 76" tall. It was made of 7/8" particle board. There is a solid divider in the middle, leaving a front and back filled with 5 shelves 15" apart. There were holes drilled 1" apart up the sides of the two bins. The shelf supports were **** plastic that wouldn't support the weight of records, so I stuck 1/4-20x1" bolts through holes in 3/4 angle pieces, welded each in, cut the bolts off 1/2" deep after the threads. The steel brackets were 3/4" wide. Those would hold the shelves up. I have five tiers of LP's 24" wide up both sides. I painted the unit black to remind me of the obelisk in the movie 2001 a Space Odessey .
I hung white LED christmas lights on a hanger in the wall facing the back in the dark corner, powered by the same power strip that turns on my disco mixer and power amp.
I tried to hook the shelf to the wall with the 1/4 holes, so it won't fall over in an earthquake, but the bracket keeps working loose. Maybe I'll suffer the same fate as Alkan the composer, who died when a bookshelf fell on him.
I wish I could buy another monolith, LP's have been $.25 to $.50 for a couple of years so I have another couple of hundred. But this was a one off flea market find. However, with LPs in the news again and back in production, Goodwill is charging $1 to $2 again for LP's, even for vile easy listening or show tunes. So I've sworn off buying them lately.

Last edited:
There is nothing shoddy about Ikea Kallax. I have three 5x5 units... Books in one, LPs in another, and the third holds laserdiscs. Those are FAR heavier than my LP collection and the Kallax has no issues at all.

Another plus of the Kallax is that it has a high WAF over metal shelving.

I have an Ikea Expedit 4x4 unit, which is very similar to the Kallax just bigger. No issues yet with approx 100 records per unit. You have to make sure you orient the shelf along the width of the whole unit though or there ends up being only two small dowels each side holding the shelf up, which will probably fail. With the Kallax this means that you can't lay the unit down in a low/wide configuration.

Last edited:

Attachments

• storlpxx.jpg
    storlpxx.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Ikea stuff has always seemed flimsy, are you sure these would hold the weight of hundreds of LPs?
I would find and refinish an old time console, they had beautiful woodwork.
My parents had one that was solid walnut, about 6 feet long.

I use the kallax for over a decade now, filled with lp's, with cases of 7" singles often standing on top of it. I moved the kallax several times (moving appartments) witout any issues. It's more solid than ikea advertises. Many dj's in our country do the same, as you can see in this famous picture of the legendaric belgian urban dj TLP in front of some of his kallax's next to other racks he uses. Here it became the standard for vinyl storage for dj's
tlp.jpg

I have used Ikea plain shelves (Ivar)for my records for over a decade now with no issues
I second IVAR shelves. They are infinitely adjustable, extendable and solid timber. They are open at the sides, back and the bottom shelf can be raised about 1" off the floor for good air circulation. I originally used IKEA Expedit
over 20 years ago, but found the enclosed volume tended to encourage mould growth on rarely played LP's in a large collection. 5 rows fit perfectly. They require metal cross braces at the rear. Rock solid and easy to dismantle for storage or transporting.

Attachments

• IVAR.jpg
    IVAR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156