Thorens 125 MK1. Help me please repair this PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I power on the turntable, put the red lead to the T4 base, black - to the emitter. Voltage going from the minus 2,5V at start to stable minus 5,5V after the minute of working.

That reading shows T4 is reverse biased.

Do I need to desolder T1 from the PCB?

Yes, pull it out. Make a note of how it fits so you can put it back again if needed.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll think some more on this tomorrow but in the meantime...

Leave T1 out of circuit and now measure the voltage across R6 and across R10. Both readings should be almost zero because the AD149 should be off with T1 removed. If the readings are not zero then it looks like the top AD149 might be faulty. We would then have to prove that.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes the bulb should be pretty dim in an oscillator like this. It looks like the bulb voltage (at the moment) is coming from the DC present on the amplifier output and via the speed setting pots.

voltage (I put one lead to one side of the resistor and the other lead to the other end of the resistor)
across R6 - 1.7mV
across R10 - 0mV
across R9 - 0mV

Those readings are all good. That seems to show the AD149 really is turned off as it should be.

Refit T1 back to the board.

Did you check C7 that I mentioned earlier ? You can run the unit without this fitted as a quick test.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What next?

We need to be more methodical, that's what :)

You have changed all the electros :checked:
You have checked the transistors :checked:
You have checked the resistors :checked:

If there were a problem affecting just one speed then the others would be OK... that fact eliminates quite a few parts.

Is C9 OK ? If that was leaky it would forward bias T5 and cause problems. The only way to check it is with one leg disconnected and check it for leakage. You must use a 'high ohms range' for leakage checks, a range that would show meg ohms of leakage.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK. So we need to start afresh with basics.

Make sure all the parts are refitted back in place and then we can do some more voltage checks. When you have refitted the parts do the following.

We are going to test the output stage. This will help prove whether the fault is to the left (the output stage) or the right (the oscillator)

1/ Remove T5 and then measure the voltage on R9 as before. The voltage should be under 1 volt.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What is 5k? What is is and what should I do?

It is the variable resistor R27. It should read less than 5k depending on where it is set to.

I couldnt measure the resistance of the C7. It gives me nothing. But the capacitance is OK.

That's good. If there is resistance it is leaky.

Capacitance of the c9 with the one leg removed is exactly 0.1nf as it should be.

That's good. And no leakage ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.