Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY Air Bearing Linear Arm
DIY Air Bearing Linear Arm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2019, 02:08 PM   #441
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

Condolences for your expensive loss, sincerely.
Many years ago, building a special 6x15 panoramic film camera for my work, I learned my lesson: I sent all the pieces to black anodizing, and then started to epoxy them together. Some detached without any warning. The anodiser explained that to make them shiny and durable they were Teflonized at the end of the process.
So use a bit of sand paper to find a moderately rough aluminum surface in the areas to be glued. It's not a matter of resin, usually, but of surfaces.

hope this helps - carlo
Old 30th July 2019, 01:34 PM   #442
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks everybody for your helps!

I went to Home Depot and bought a JB steel reinforced epoxy. I tried a small portion. It seems to me it is pretty good. For the parts of head shell, I made it myself, but this time, I am going to let someone who has all the equipments do it for me. So, the head shell will fit the bushing nicely and gets maximum contact area. I will also sand the contact area of the air bushing. Hopefully, all of this will solve the problem.

Jim
Old 30th July 2019, 02:16 PM   #443
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

Hi jim. before sanding put a little drop of resin on the bushing and let it cure; then try to take away witn a stick. Black anodization is often hard anodization, that is with the pores well sealed and very slick, but not always with teflon. Acetone rinsing may be enough.
One of the strongest resin in my experience is UHU plus 24h - transparent (no fillers- no solvents). more speed = less resistance
ciao - carlo

Last edited by nocdplz; 30th July 2019 at 02:18 PM.

DIY Air Bearing Linear ArmHide this!Advertise here!