Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY Air Bearing Linear Arm
DIY Air Bearing Linear Arm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2019, 09:29 PM   #411
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panayotis Kritidis View Post
Do you have some estimation about the magnitude of the variations of the gap during playback?
The air bearing arm Niffy was talking about is Terminator's style air bearing arm. There are serval different styles of air bearing arms so far.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:34 PM   #412
Stefanoo is offline Stefanoo  Italy
diyAudio Member

The air gap is supposed to be constant during the travel. Obviously the smaller the stiffer the less variations but also the more the drag the stylus has to overcome.
Not sure what gap are you referring to, if you are talking about terminator if I had to gauss keeping the air pressure close to the min it probably has 50-100um gap.
Old 11th July 2019, 02:28 AM   #413
Panayotis Kritidis is online now Panayotis Kritidis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The air bearing arm Niffy was talking about is Terminator's style air bearing arm. There are serval different styles of air bearing arms so far.
Dear Sir, thank you for the assistance. Please note that I have a good knowledge of all types of tonearms, after reading carefully a lot of articles during the last 50 years. I am not against air bearing arms, I know that air bearing per se is inherently superior to other types of bearing. I want to know numerically what is considered, by different people, as an acceptable level of tonearm displacements. "As low as possible" is not an answer for me.

Quote:
Not sure what gap are you referring to, if you are talking about terminator if I had to gauss keeping the air pressure close to the min it probably has 50-100um gap.
I am talking about this type of air bearing you are familiar with. If I take your lower value, 50 microns, I perfectly know that during the disk playback the effective tonearm length will NOT vary within 25 μm, but within A μm, where A<25. So, what is, approximately, the value of A ?
Old 11th July 2019, 01:57 PM   #414
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am talking about this type of air bearing you are familiar with. If I take your lower value, 50 microns, I perfectly know that during the disk playback the effective tonearm length will NOT vary within 25 μm, but within A μm, where A<25. So, what is, approximately, the value of A ?

Even the air gap is 50 microns, it doesn't mean the slide will make small movements in 50 microns in all directions as your floating arm. On your arm, the vibrations are not well damped. A scientific analysis doesn't necessarily be numbers. Using numbers doesn't always mean it is a scientific analysis.
Old 11th July 2019, 06:05 PM   #415
Panayotis Kritidis is online now Panayotis Kritidis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Even the air gap is 50 microns, it doesn't mean the slide will make small movements in 50 microns in all directions as your floating arm.
This is not true. Goodbye.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:35 PM   #416
diyAudio Member

I am not defending Terminator arm and other open air bearing arms. Personally, I am not fond of this kind of constructions. Even if the air gap is 50 microns, the air gap is filled with compressed air. The high the air pressure is, the stiffer the bearing is, the better the arm is damped. Terminator arm has low air pressure so its bearing isn’t damped as well as my arms.

DIY Air Bearing Linear ArmHide this!Advertise here!