JLH "Liniac" RIAA

The reason behind the shunt feedback, was that the gain at h.f. would go to zero, as the standard requires, rather than rolling-off to 1 as would happen with series feedback around a single gain stage.

I built a Liniac RIAA stage, based on series of JLH articles in HiFi News & Record Review in Feb. 1980.

The cartridge loading resistor was 39 kOhm, rather than 47 kOhms, which reduces the noise contribution by 1 dB. JLH also mentions in the article that the increased loading of the cartridge is supposed to help with playback of square-wave transients.

The stage in the article had a JFET cascode in addition to the circuitry mentioned earlier in this thread. The maximum output voltage of the stage is 6 Vrms - certainly less than a more modern op-amp based stage, powered from +/- 15 V would achieve.

There was a slight rustle to be heard when the record player was off-disc, but noise was significantly less than vinyl surface noise.

Can't really judge the sound quality - it was certainly better than the budget amplifier it replaced, although I had no experience or anything to compare to - and I'd built it, so I'm probably biased...
The behaviour by transients like scratches on record surface is better in general compare to serial feedback RIAA stages - this I have read on several articles.
Therefore the question: which brand have such a RIAA phono stage as commercial product ?