Turntable belt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
You could make one with an O ring kit.NEW NITRILE 70 O-RING CORD SPLICING KIT CONTAINS VARIOUS CORDS & ACCESSORIES | eBay
I have made many an odd sized belt with this kit.
Or RUBBER O-RING CORD BLACK NITRILE OIL RESISTANT VARIOUS DIAMETERS SOLD PER METRE | eBay
for the cord and all you need is cynoanacrilate glue (Super Glue) a sharp knife and a steady hand.

Mmmm, not sure it's that simple, Jon. :confused: With the TT I built from core LP12 parts, I used a non-Linn motor and speed controller ... which meant I had to get a Linn-copy pulley machined for the 24v Premotec motor. So I had 2 pulleys made up:
1. a 'crowned' pulley a la Linn - so it uses a standard LP12 flat belt, and
2. a double-grooved pulley to take 2 x O-rings.

I found with the grooved pulley, there was a tremendous 'shudder' on switch-on (for a couple of seconds). In contrast, the pulley which used the flat Linn belt didn't have this problem - all I can assume is ... the nitrile O-ring belts (even though there were 2 of them) had much less friction against the inner platter, hence the shuddering.

Possibly, belts which go around the outer platter have enough friction (due to the greater length of contact) - whereas those decks which are driven on an inner-platter do not supply enough friction for O-rings? :confused:

And again, possibly silicone O-ring belts will work better than nitrile O-ring belts - trouble is, I have not been able to source silicone O-ring belts which have the circumference of the LP12 belt.

And btw, I could move the motor relative to the inner platter, to get the right tension on the belt.

Regards,

Andy

Answers already exist.

Why ask questions when the answers can be had quickly and simply via Google?
The link takes you to an ebay seller who provides instructions on "how to measure for a turntable belt". Seems pretty straightforward.

If wanting to use dental floss or silk or whatever fine thread-like material, just tie a knot into the thread after wrapping it about the dive pulley and the driven pulley or platter as the case indicates. I did this with an old Sugden Connoisseur BD-1 and it works flawlessly. I've checked the speed using a digital tachometer and the speed is absolutely correct within the accuracy of the tach (+/- 0.05 RPM).

I suppose if the drive pulley diameter is known and the driven pulley diameter is known, as well as the distance between them it could be easily drawn using Sketchup or any other CAD software. Then subtract say 5% of the length is using a rubber or silicon belt to allow for providing adequate tension. Then settle on say a typical belt thickness of 0.02" (or about 0.5mm). Width depends on the pulleys used or the pulley/platter if the platter is driven directly with the belt.

Last edited:
Why ask questions when the answers can be had quickly and simply via Google?
The link takes you to an ebay seller who provides instructions on "how to measure for a turntable belt". Seems pretty straightforward.

If wanting to use dental floss or silk or whatever fine thread-like material, just tie a knot into the thread after wrapping it about the dive pulley and the driven pulley or platter as the case indicates. I did this with an old Sugden Connoisseur BD-1 and it works flawlessly. I've checked the speed using a digital tachometer and the speed is absolutely correct within the accuracy of the tach (+/- 0.05 RPM).

I suppose if the drive pulley diameter is known and the driven pulley diameter is known, as well as the distance between them it could be easily drawn using Sketchup or any other CAD software. Then subtract say 5% of the length is using a rubber or silicon belt to allow for providing adequate tension. Then settle on say a typical belt thickness of 0.02" (or about 0.5mm). Width depends on the pulleys used or the pulley/platter if the platter is driven directly with the belt.

Thx for answer i saw this article from ebay but there is a totaly new build turntable so it needs to be measured like you described in your post.

thx

regards

I have micro seiki RX1500VG with a 17kg platter weight, uses dental floss. I have the original string that come in a blue box, but while I change the dental floss once a year, the original is in the closet.
I read in the post of Romy the Cat that is not possible to do the above mentioned facts.
Regards

I agree with you because I am not a creator, only I am an applicator of the ideas that fortunately are spread by internet.
But, we can find people thar are innovating the preconceived notions.

From my point of view, I tried many solutions, mylar tape, belt tape, the mylar tape is to wide and the pulley is narrow, I tried to cut sagitaly with premature failure. I changed many times the configuration of my turntable, one-two-three-four tonearms. Change the distance between the TT and the motor, Ergo, I have to change many belts (different distance) and for not sacrifice the original satin string I tried with dental floss.
My nerd head, obviously discover different topologies. But I never listen music. Now I have four tonearms, a FR64 black, a sme series v, a micro seiki MA505 and a EMT2. But only is connected to the preamp. The µseiki. I resume with this description only one supply of music, take in mind the rest of the parts. I think that the major quantity of times I look for solutions for no existent problems. And I have to recognize that there are solutions that came from long time and they still are solutions.

Last edited:
OH YES!

McMaster-Carr can and does make custom drive belts out of a couple of materials. They have many lengths in stock but can make one exactly the length you specify. They are under o-rings as well as drive belts if I remember correctly.

McMaster-Carr

They make your size. Good internet connection...
Thanks dude. My nerd tendency is satisfied with this forum plenty of gentlemen. Thanks a lot.
Oh Yankees you have a big country full of traditional thinks that nowadays still working further the crisis and the globalization.
Between you is easy, one yankee say to other: Why not try with McMaster-Carr? JE JE

McMaster-Carr

They make your size. Good internet connection...
Thanks dude. My nerd tendency is satisfied with this forum plenty of gentlemen. Thanks a lot.
Oh Yankees you have a big country full of traditional thinks that nowadays still working further the crisis and the globalization.
Between you is easy, one yankee say to other: Why not try with McMaster-Carr? JE JE

If you give my your specifications, I'll order and mail them for you. I'm sure they deal internationally though as well

All right I just measured my own, 3/8" wide, 0.05" thickness, long 51,37 inches.
Please Two belts. I just email the company and then answer immediately, John did asking that is impossible for them in ship overseas to not registered companies.
This is a copy from the invoice.
each

9485T11

Urethane Flat Belt, 3/8" Wide, 0.055" Thick, 51.37 in. Length

1 week
Need this sooner?
$28.77 each 57.53
Thanks Dude, you are an artist.
We will speak soon.
Best Regards
Esteban

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.