The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

image.jpg

For comparisons sake, here,s my JVC QL-10 guts
37 caps to replace!
It works well with out doing anything to it, but I can't leave well enough alone
42 pounds with plinth.
Just picked up a desoldering station. Tired of the usual way all those years!

Regards
David

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Neat!

A suggestion - ans it will take the QL-10 to the next level - remove the transformer and place it in it's own case, even it it needs a complicated umbilical, it's completely worth it, I've never removed a transformer form a 'table and it not sound anything but wonderful. A genuine enhancement.

The one there is sealed in its own steel enclosure and doesn't hum and has no consequences that would warrant taking it out as of yet.

However isolating it is always a good idea. I generally prefer belt drives for my main TT, but it's nice to compare both ideas once in awhile for a reality check.

Regards
David

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Zen Mod - Ah. Perhaps. I don't think damping the chassis would be heplful, but perhaps it would on the metal bottom cover, and on the motor like you suggest.

zeonrider - Between my SL-1200 and the SP-10? I think there will be, as the overall design is actually quite different - my SL- is suspended (Isonoes) and medium mass, the SP- will be high mass with solid feet. I would love to get an identical arm (Graham 2.2) for the SP- but I just don't have that kind of money in my audio budget for a long while...

Hopefully they arrived intact. :D

Repair that PSU before plugging it in.. LOL

Yeah, I figured out that part. :D jp and Jim are helping me out with the plinths. I'm going to dig into the electronics, and maybe do something with the bearing lubrication if that looks like something that needs improving (made a big difference in my VPI). Doing new mats might be interesting- I have some ideas and the ability to compression mold rubber.

I will tell the world publicly that I now have a man-crush on Kevin.

Now I feel like I should rush out and buy another! :) Mine's purdy though...

attachment.php

And is the source of my original comment about it being about time I could help him spend some money, as he's the one that talked me in to buying this one.

I adjusted the phase tracking today. Using a DSO, I had to stop acquisition to measure as wave T isn't at the same frequency as wave S, so it wasn't showing consistently and there was some noise causing both waves to jump around a teeny bit.

This is at 33 RPM - it's supposed to be 6.3 +/- 0.2ms, and we're at 5.95ms.

attachment.php

And adjusted to 6.30ms

attachment.php

45 RPM isn't adjusted, but should be 4.7 +/- 1.3ms. I'm at 4.25ms, so we're good.

attachment.php

Last was 78 RPM, which was significantly off. The right cursor is where it's supposed to be - 2.70 +/- 0.1ms. I believe it was 1.6ms or so.

attachment.php

And here it is adjust to 1.68ms. The control on this one is rather touchy.

attachment.php

Last, here's what things look like on an analog scope.

attachment.php

Next, service the bearing and start figuring out a plinth :)

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 2,172
  • P1010408.jpg
    P1010408.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 2,145
  • P1010410.jpg
    P1010410.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 2,105
  • P1010411.jpg
    P1010411.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 2,097
  • P1010417.jpg
    P1010417.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 2,117
  • P1010415.jpg
    P1010415.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 2,110
  • P1010413.jpg
    P1010413.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 2,109
Last edited by a moderator:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
JP - looks great! I'm glad it's straightforward to set after the re-cap.

SY - user510 sells Torlon bearing caps that he makes, JP and I have got them, haven't yet installed. Also will get a SiN ceramic thrust ball, as it has lots of cool factor.

Here's a couple of "before" pix. One of the tables is cosmetically a disaster- looks like someone spilled a caustic substance on it. The other is about like the ones 6L6 is starting with. So the sandblasting cabinet is going to get some use this week.

Attachments

• SL10-1.JPG
    SL10-1.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 565
  • SL10-2.JPG
    SL10-2.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 645