Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2014, 11:16 PM   #11
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Everyone needs a machinist friend next door
Old 9th September 2014, 11:28 PM   #12
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Did I mention how much I hate you?
What am I going to do with two of these? Seriously...

And remember, I also have a fantastically good sounding, completely tweaked SL-1200...

As for the SP-10, I never intended on having two, the ebay seller mentioned he had another, (the mate of the first one, both from a radio station somewhere) that it was uglier, and he wasn't sure if it would do well on auction. (And after seeing it, I agree.) Anyway, he sold it for a price good enough that I couldn't really refuse, and now hopefully will have 2 when this process is complete.

And at that point, I'll sell one. . Interested?

Anyway, all ya'll ain't seen nuthin' yet...

Last edited by 6L6; 9th September 2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:29 PM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

I'll be in the market after my ex-wife and her lawyer have the courtesy and consideration to die.

It's a 'table I've always wanted.
Old 9th September 2014, 11:35 PM   #14
epistaxsis is offline epistaxsis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And remember, I also have a fantastically good sounding, completely tweaked SL-1200...
And it's good to see that you've finally seen the light and got a decent technics record player

Have fun with the builds!
Old 10th September 2014, 12:28 AM   #15
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Unfortunately the platter from the 'nicer' table got dropped in the process, my fault, and got a few dings in it. This is the worst one.

I'm still probably going to go back and give the platters another round of cleaning up, I didn't bring all the compounds I wanted to try, and also ran out of time. But as they stand right now, they look much, much better than when I started.
Shame you dropped it. Ask your buddy if he can skim the platter rim on the lathe, and get most of the "ding" (or dings) out. You have to use a low rpm thou, otherwise the platter will ring like crazy, and you'll get a lousy finish. Get the rest out with a big cotton buffing wheel and some compound.

jeff

Last edited by vinylkid58; 10th September 2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10th September 2014, 01:27 AM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Very cool, you're off to a good start.
Old 10th September 2014, 01:30 AM   #17
JP is offline JP  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad I could help you spend money for a change :P
Old 10th September 2014, 07:45 AM   #18
soundofvoid is offline soundofvoid  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Shame you dropped it. Ask your buddy if he can skim the platter rim on the lathe, and get most of the "ding" (or dings) out. You have to use a low rpm thou, otherwise the platter will ring like crazy, and you'll get a lousy finish. Get the rest out with a big cotton buffing wheel and some compound.

jeff
I agree.If this is the worst then you can easily skim it off by lowering the edge by a couple mm...(metric guy)!
After you're done and while it's spining rub it with some scotch-brite (take your time with the difficult places) and it will sparkle as new.
Actually do both again because i can see some un-worked areas...

As for the warm water and soap solution...i prefer putting back the oils in an old rubber mat that taking them out.If they do need a bath, immediately after washing them use vaseline or paraffin oil to moisture the rubber.
Let it soak for an hour and gently hand-rub it off.
Trust me, it works.
Old 10th September 2014, 08:29 AM   #19
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't bother with skimming edge of platter , because of minor cosmetic thingie (even if I really have lathe in my own garage)

it's small , and mass is still there

besides - that platter is now having increased level of personality

Old 10th September 2014, 02:30 PM   #20
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I won't skim the edge - as Choky says, it's personality now, and will be a reminder of this project.

That said, I will most likely go back and clean them up more at some point.

But that can wait, as it is much more important to build PSUs for these guys, and re-cap the drive PCB. Once that's done, I will get the drive adjusted and tuned-up to spec, and then disassemble everything, and re-finish the chassis of both table somehow.

I've ordered new Torlon thrust bearing plate caps from user510 - sp10mkII_pad Much, much more info, here -- sp10 brg
Necessary? Probably not, but I like the idea of overhauling the wear points.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 ThreadHide this!Advertise here!