Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2014, 05:34 AM   #171
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Nah. Post in this one, there are 4 of us now. (Me, SY, jpjones, and you.) It will keep things easy to find and the knowledge not lost to multiple threads.

I opened up the deck and looked at the caps. Nothing more complicated than that.

Advice? Sure -

don't, unless you really need to.

Time for a refinish, methinks.

Wonderful! Take tons of photos, take notes, and post everything here.

Looking forward to seeing it.
Thanks for inviting in! I will be well behind you, so looking to you guys for advice. And to see what your impressions are with your build.

I still have a few days left to finish my amps, but I know some items I want for my turntable with take some time to sort out/order/sketch etc. so I will be working through some of it while I finish the amps.

My friend is partial to the 4points Kuzma. I will probably build in an armboard that could be changed for different length arms, but only for one arm to keep the overall plinth smaller. Planning on about 150lbs total weight.
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/Hypex Fusion 501ís, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 1st December 2014, 02:37 PM   #172
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

It depends on the compliance of the cartridge you choose to use.
Old 1st December 2014, 05:45 PM   #173
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, cartridge compliance is very important when considering the tonearm, no question.

But it has nothing to do with inertia and moment of inertia.
Old 1st December 2014, 09:18 PM   #174
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

It does indirectly.... a heavier arm will have more of both irrespective of length. But why won't you want *more* inertia for a massive cartridge, like say an SPU?
Old 2nd December 2014, 07:34 AM   #175
Dave Cawley is offline Dave Cawley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
IMO, 12" arms are overrated - the advantage is tracking error is outweighed by the disadvantage in overall mass and inertia.
Very true I can have any arm(s) I want but chose a 9" SME V for stereo and a SME 309 for mono. I'll wait for Jim to reveal how to re-finish the chassis before moving them over from my Model 10, can't wait !!

Dave
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad" ©
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:45 AM   #176
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

I'm thinking powder coat. I have a close friend visiting this weekend; she is the top product development person for the powder coating division of a major paint company and she may have some ideas (or warnings!). My goals are both appearance and any energy dissipation I can manage.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:39 AM   #177
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Not sure if this will work or how durable it would be.
Sound reducing paint
May be inside of chassis can be painted with it and outer side powder coat or anodized or plated.
Regards
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:02 PM   #178
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Having SP10 mkII with all electronics moved outboard and connected via a loom lead, I can say with total confidence that the subjective experience is enormously improved. This mod I believe to be mandatory and a first to accomplish before getting worried about anything else (provided that the unit is basically up to spec).

I attach a poor picture of the now outboard power supply. I sent the whole unit to an expert who is finding difficulty in being able to return it to me so (UK readers will know what I mean!), I cannot supply pics of the latest set up - it is intended to ditch the top-plate in its entirety and to mount the motor and platter only in a purpose built plinth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2sp10-ps copy.jpg (683.1 KB, 502 views)
Old 2nd December 2014, 04:05 PM   #179
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Having SP10 mkII with all electronics moved outboard and connected via a loom lead, I can say with total confidence that the subjective experience is enormously improved. This mod I believe to be mandatory and a first to accomplish before getting worried about anything else (provided that the unit is basically up to spec).

I attach a poor picture of the now outboard power supply. I sent the whole unit to an expert who is finding difficulty in being able to return it to me so (UK readers will know what I mean!), I cannot supply pics of the latest set up - it is intended to ditch the top-plate in its entirety and to mount the motor and platter only in a purpose built plinth.
Building a new plinth, only carrying over the motor and platter, and moving all the electronics into a new chassis is also my goal.

Very interested in any information and photos you can provide. I can only assume increasing the length of the interconnecting wire loom requires some modifications to the electronics? Or is there enough adjustment built in to compensate?
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/Hypex Fusion 501ís, Transparent Ultra cables.
Old 3rd December 2014, 03:49 AM   #180
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure why outboarding the electronics would do anything for you. Please explain.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 ThreadHide this!Advertise here!