Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2018, 08:10 PM   #1161
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Never understood why the SP-10 has no overvoltage protection at the input for its supplies. If something goes wrong with the external supply, it can generate well over spec voltage and fry the electronics. The supply fuses are of no help, by the time they blow, the table is gone... A recap of these old power supplies is a must, before connecting it to the table! I'll certainly install an overvoltage protection on the 5V digital supply. The others supplies goes to transistor/analog/power stage that will survive and incorrect supply, not the digital section with the 5V supply though!
Old 5th October 2018, 08:18 PM   #1162
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

a large wattage Zener diode of the appropriate voltage (> 5V) would do the job.

Even though there is a cable and connector and a separate chassis, the threat to the 'table's electronics is, IMO, no different than if the supply was in the base of the turntable. The fact that it's in a different chassis doesn't inherently make it more likely to stop regulating at the proper voltage.
Old 5th October 2018, 10:45 PM   #1163
Alekz91 is offline Alekz91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
n10 are 100pF loading capacitors for moving magnet cartridges.

For the start stop you will need to go through this with a scope and the service manual. It would help if you have the SH-10C circuit, but I think you could do it without that.?

Loading capacitors, what purpose do they fill? I have never seen a setup like that before. Can i use any MM cartridge with these?

Start/stop: Okay, thats over my limit. Im decent in following instructions and doing simple soldering but not much above that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
There’s a bolt in most headshells that lets you rotate them?
But a small spirit level for headshells and adjust until level.

If the headshell won’t adjust you need one that does!

Thanks! That helped. Kind of embarrassing. But never had this issue before!
Old 5th October 2018, 11:13 PM   #1164
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Though it would involve a few more components I'd probably go for a 'crowbar' circuit, along with a fuse, a 5.3V zener should provide sufficient overhead.
Something like this:-
Attached Images
File Type: png download (1).png (4.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 6th October 2018, 02:39 AM   #1165
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeap, exactly the kind of circuit I was planning to install on the 5V. And BrianL I agree that a separate power supply isn't different from one built in, but the catch is often that you can use the table with an other power supply, and this one can be defective... The crowbar circuit is fail safe, fast, blow the supply fuse and protect the table. It was used a lot into big, expensive HP test equipment power supplies in the 80's. Work like a charm... Anyway once I'll complete the repair on my second SP10, I don't want to have to do it again!
Old 7th October 2018, 04:59 AM   #1166
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

If these were as common as USB chargers and with as profligate use, then I'd agree that there is protection needed. I wouldn't expect the average SP10ii user to be mixing and matching multiple supplies and turntables -- few of us have more than one of each. If so, one should certainly make sure the supply works before plugging it into the turntable.

I'm quite familiar with what we at HP did with power supplies in the 80s. Generally those SCR crowbars were to protect the instrument from someone who plugged their device into a 220V circuit when the voltage selection switches were set to 120V. That's a much more likely scenario that mixing and matching 'random' SP10's and their supplies in 2018.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 ThreadHide this!Advertise here!