Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2018, 10:56 PM   #1151
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks to JP, I contacted Samurai Electronics on Ebay and he was able to find me replacement boards (a full set), which are now on the way. It was almost the same cost as getting a Hakko FR301 and the replacement chips. Plus several hours of board surgery with a good chance that it still won't work. I figured spending a little extra on another set of boards is well worth it.

Now, how do I proceed with the replacement boards? Just connect the motor to the set of new boards? The PS appears to be fine, but are there any other no-load tests I should be doing before connecting it up?
Old 3rd October 2018, 06:58 AM   #1152
Dave Cawley is offline Dave Cawley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would run it up on a pair of current limited bench PSU's first. Then do a load test on your Technics PSU. BTW $250 for a de-soldering tool is way more than I would pay.
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:48 AM   #1153
JP is online now JP  United States
diyAudio Member

Live a little, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C4639C11-222D-40A1-BCDA-6D688C601D6C.jpeg (22.0 KB, 209 views)
Old 4th October 2018, 12:03 AM   #1154
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I did my research and there are much cheaper ones available but the folks here and from the reviews universally suggested splurging on a quality one. Even the $150 ones do not have good reviews, but the Hakko has excellent reviews.
Old 4th October 2018, 07:32 AM   #1155
Dave Cawley is offline Dave Cawley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, if JP says they are good I'm now feeling empty as I haven't got one ! How bad is that !
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Old 4th October 2018, 11:07 AM   #1156
cats squirrel is offline cats squirrel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

sucker...

forward through scholarship, not bullship
Old 5th October 2018, 06:09 PM   #1157
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you're not experienced in electronic I would not suggest you test your new PCB set outside of the turntable, with an external supply, too risky to damage the replacement board. BTW the 5V supply goes at different places on the digital board, and you need the external motherboard to connect everywhere. So again don't try it, you can damage the new board!

I would suggest you just replace the defective digital board, with the replacement one, into the SP-10, using the normal Technics power supply (make sure you have a good power supply to start with!), you should have 5V on one of the supply connector pin.

Your defective digital board is only used for the timing generation and the strobe, mainly, so you won't damage it, even if some others boards are not perfect... In mine only the digital one was toasted. The other boards use an other supply, as welll as the drive circuit to the turntable motor coils...

SB
Old 5th October 2018, 06:46 PM   #1158
SAP7 is offline SAP7
diyAudio Member

Right.

My deck went wrong tonight. Sudden speed wobble and horrible scratchy noise. Strobe all over and speed poor.
I swapped to my spare power supply and all is well (though the strobe light flickers using the spare).

Thankfully this seems to prove it’s the power supply not he motor unit! A further failsafe test was to plug in my spare sp10 and the same happened. Bad noise and speed. Must be the supply!

Guessing the fix is to recap and test the voltage rails?

If so, anyone point me to the list of caps I need? A mate can then order for me from the usual suppliers?
Anything else I’m missing here? I’ll recap both eventually but glad I didn’t sell on my second set quickly!

Thanks

Last edited by SAP7; 5th October 2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 5th October 2018, 07:29 PM   #1159
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here's a list of the caps in the SP10 mk2, along with where they're fitted
Good luck with the refit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp10-caps.JPG (326.6 KB, 162 views)
Old 5th October 2018, 07:41 PM   #1160
SAP7 is offline SAP7
diyAudio Member

That’s the one!
Thanks

The Incredible Technics SP-10 ThreadHide this!Advertise here!