Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2018, 06:19 AM   #1071
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

The table was connected each time the fuse blew.

Re the motor: Thanks for the encouragement. I managed to take the motor apart. The seals were still on, so I presume it has never been opened or serviced before.

Now, here is the scoop: Shaft looks good and the bottom of the shaft also looks not too worn, just a tiny dimple in the center where it meets the ball bearing. When I drop it in, it traps air and during the period when it is dropping, it revolves really smoothly, but as soon as it drops all the way in, it starts rubbing. The coils look OK to me, and I can't figure out what it is rubbing against. Maybe the top hat rubs against the top of the bore. I suspect the ball has dropped far too low and that causes the rubbing. Curious to hear what others think.

Shaun, I'm not sure what you mean by a too-long screw that could stick into the motor. Can you elaborate? I don't think there are any screws to stick into the coils.
Old 18th June 2018, 06:35 AM   #1072
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I must correct what I said: having spoken from memory, it seems I was remembering a different motor. Please disregard what I said, as apparently there are no screws that can contact the coils. Perhaps I can make up for it with some of shots of a motor I have here.
20180618_073307.jpeg
20180618_073257.jpeg
20180618_073232.jpeg
20180618_073245.jpeg
20180618_073448.jpeg
20180618_073454.jpeg
Old 18th June 2018, 08:07 PM   #1073
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would have a very careful look for any 'witness marks'
relating to the rubbing.
Old 18th June 2018, 09:10 PM   #1074
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfcooke View Post
I would have a very careful look for any 'witness marks' relating to the rubbing.
Just as an FYI (not to detract from ra7's woes): If you look carefully at the pics I posted, you will see some witness marks attesting to the fact that this motor had its bearing seized and in fact the bearing itself had been rotating inside the housing. You can see this on the platter just next to the spindle hole.
Old 19th June 2018, 10:27 PM   #1075
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the pics, Shaun! The coils on this motor and more golden in color, whereas yours appear to be more silver in color. Maybe that's just the enamel.

Looking for signs of rubbing, I see marks on the underside of the top of the motor, and some on the bottom face of the central ring with ribbed inside face (last picture in Shaun's post).

The only way the top rubs against the coils is if the shaft is falling far too deep into the bore, which would mean the ball bearing is slipping downward and is not snugly fitting into the bottom of the bore. Does that make sense? As I said before, until it falls all the way, it spins without problem.

I'm going to get a heat gun this evening and try to open the bottom part and see where the ball is.
Old 20th June 2018, 08:10 AM   #1076
diyAudio Member

Compare the height of the circlip in the first photo to that of your own. The platter rests on this circlip.

FYI, the coils are green in colour.
Old 20th June 2018, 11:51 PM   #1077
diyAudio Member

Thanks! The shaft appears attached to the platter on my motor, so I cannot see where the circlip rests. If I slip off the circlip, can I remove the shaft from the top of the platter?

Oh, and is there a technique to get the circlips back on? I struggled with one on the mechanical brake.

Edit: Last night, I got the ball bearing end open. The ball seems to be no lower than what I've seen in pictures. I didn't have time to pop it out yet.

Another thing I noticed was the metal rim on the outside of the circular magnet on the platter was sticking out below the platter rim for about one-half of the circle. You can see this rim in Shaun's 2nd to last picture very clearly. It's the one outside the magnet but inside the platter rim. After I tightened the screws holding the magnet and rim, and pushed the rim down (only somewhat) where it was sticking out, the rubbing seems to have stopped. I did that last night and it wasn't rubbing this morning. But who knows, it may return. Any one else have that experience with the rim sticking out?

Last edited by ra7; 21st June 2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 24th June 2018, 11:00 PM   #1078
diyAudio Member

Anyone have thoughts about the post above?
Old 25th June 2018, 08:51 AM   #1079
diyAudio Member

Could be you've solved your problem. Sometimes it's just adhesive holding these parts together (like the metal parts of a loudspeaker driver's motor). Once you have pushed it back into its proper position you might want to dab a bit of Locktite onto it.
Old 28th June 2018, 05:43 PM   #1080
diyAudio Member

Thanks Shaun! I've been on travel the last week and after coming back, the platter is spinning smoothly. Phew!

Could applying the Locktite near one portion of the rim unbalance the platter due to extra weight?

The Incredible Technics SP-10 ThreadHide this!Advertise here!