"Equal Opportunity" MM Pre

SY's newest baby in LA Volume 7.

I don't think that the 3.18uS compensation (Neumann) is necessary (the 91R):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Without it you'd be hard pressed to get an RIAA network which hugs the curves so tightly:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can't wait to start soldering this one up!

Here's an idea for a bias supply -- if you run the filaments from a.c. the LR8N3 will regulate the 150+ B+ to a convenient level for the LT3439 quiet switcher. The output is filtered and regulated with an LT3015 for a very quiet bias supply to the P-channel jfet:

in surface mount, the entire thing should take up real estate of less than 2 square inches.

prototyping with one of Pete's neat little boards:

Attachments

• Everyman.jpg
    Everyman.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3,330
Did you consider a BJT TEO?

Not so much, no- biasing becomes slightly more complicated (enhancement vs depletion), and selection is critical because of current noise. Possible, just more of a PITA since the FETs drop in so easily.

I've been doing some comparative measurements of TEO with an input transformer vs. His Master's Noise for MC use. The TEO plus transformer is better. I'll see if I can dig out some of the spectra when I get back home- TEO has significantly lower HF intermod (though this is a bit of numbers-chasing, HMN is already way lower than any audible threshold).

I am pretty pleased at the performance of the bogus 2SJ74s -- here's another chart with the 2N5460 -- slightly worse than either of the other 2.

Gain was 34.7dB for the 2SJ74BL, 33.9dB for the bogus parts and 32.0 dB for the 2N5460.

Looking at the graph, I am wondering if the 1/f noise is lower for the 2N5460 -- interesting because that's where the gain is in the RIAA filter.

Attachments

• TEO2.png
    TEO2.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,309
Last edited: