"Equal Opportunity" MM Pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well the approach is quite familiar, I recognized the input stage topology immediately. Never saw the whole schematic until today however.

I am wondering whether the source followers could not be eliminated via a hybrid mu-follower configuration using the cascode CCS? I am using something similar in the second stage of the Muscovite Mini II although I have not yet shared the details of that design revision, but at much higher currents where the transconductance of the DN2540 => 50K umhos. (Source resistor to ground to get the current up?) Just curious, and have not thought it through, I know there can be interactions with the external load when using a ccs this way.

Actually, that's not the whole circuit. First stage doesn't use the followers, second stage doesn't use the RIAA components.

You're right about the effect of load on the CCS. Probably not an issue at higher impedance levels, but source followers were so cheap and performed so well, I just played it safe. You never know what crazy cable someone is going to use on the output, though making it balanced eliminates the danger of 90% of the stupid designer brands out there.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Aha, not having seen the whole schematic I was not sure whether the followers were used in both stages or not. So in the first stage they would be jumpered (omitted) and in the second obviously no RIAA.. Making the boards fairly universal makes sense particularly if you envision other potential uses.

Actually, that's not the whole circuit. First stage doesn't use the followers, second stage doesn't use the RIAA components.

I'm nearly ready to try and build this.
Just a question please, do I need 2 boards per channel (1st + 2nd stage) for preamp or just one?
Do I need LA 8 to understand how it fits together?

Just want to figure how many boards to etch.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.